The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM

bobtx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to bobtx
Smile Russian River, CA a good stream?

My wife & I are spending 3 days in Healdsburg, CA on the Russian River in early October. Is that a good fly-fishing stream? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russian River, CA a good stream?

bobtx: Since no one else chimed in, I thought I would at least point you to some information on the Russian River, CA. Here is a link to a group that fishes that river called the Russian River Fly Fishers: http://rrflyfisher.tripod.com/
Here is a fly shop (Kienes) that offers a Russian River fishing report that should be helpful: http://www.kiene.com/reports/rivers/russian.shtm
Here is a good link with some information: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...ad.php?t=55282

Hope that helps you do some planning ( I have never fished that stream so I can't provide specifics).

Larry
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM

butchhe is on a distinguished road

I fish a different Russian River...this ones in Alaska
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchhe View Post
I fish a different Russian River...this ones in Alaska
I've fished the Russian River in Alaska but didn't enjoy the crowded conditions, so I did some scouting and found a couple spots with far less crowding on the Kenai River that had just as good fishing.

Larry
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bobtx,

I fished the Russian back in the 50's. The Russian has had some hard times over the years. Right now the river is closed to all Salmon fishing to try and bring them back. There is a Fall/Winter Steelhead run but I don't know it's status. You may be too soon in early October. I would contact a local fly shop and see what they have to say.

There are areas of Trout and Bass but I have no idea where to fish. You are lucky that there is a road system along a lot of the river. Also a lot of private land so you have to be careful about access.

Frank