The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/10915-cabelas-stowaway-5-piece.html)

Woodrow 08-06-2009 07:39 PM

Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece

The other day I posted that I was looking for a rod for redfish and bass. There was good advice given that I am looking into.

I was on the Pier and Surf board and came across someone wanting a similar outfit and he mentioned a 9' 8 wt Cabelas 5 piece combo for between 150.00and 219.00 depending on the reel.

I have a Stowaway 7'6" 4 wt with a Battenkill reel I use for trout fishing in the mountains. It is a great rod for the money and I was wondering if the 9' 8wt would be good for redfish and bass? I am not sure which of the reels to use if any.

wtex50 08-07-2009 06:54 AM

Re: Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece

My concern would be with stronger/bigger fish like redfish...would a 5 piece rod fail more often than a 2 or 4 piece. In other words, more stress points (the ferruls) to fail or loosen. I have no experience with this rod, but that would be my concern

randyflycaster 08-07-2009 09:22 AM

I think the rod comes with a 25 year guarantee. If you're looking for a 5-piece
I'd certainly consider it. I cast a 5-weight and it cast surprisingly well.

My only question: why a 5-piece over a 4? If there's a real reason to go with the 5, like it fits in your luggage, then go with it.

Randy

Woodrow 08-07-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 65036)

My only question: why a 5-piece over a 4? If there's a real reason to go with the 5, like it fits in your luggage, then go with it.

Randy

It does not matter if it is 2, 4, or 5. I am just looking at all options and listening to advice to make my choice.

Thanks

MoscaPescador 08-07-2009 10:55 AM

Visit a fly shop and cast a few rods. The one that casts the best for you is the one that you should buy. It would be a real pain when you got to your destination and hated casting the rod that you just bought.

Sorry, I have no information on the Cabelas rod.

Stay away from 2 piece rods. They are harder to travel around with.

MP

Dr. Gonzo 08-07-2009 12:15 PM

I have the Cabela's 5 piece 8'6" 5wt. Great rod, can't speak to the 8wt though. If you're going for it might as well jump on it now because all the other sizes are sold out. The rod itself is on sale for only 79.00. I wouldn't bother with the combo, the line is pretty crappy generic cabela's, not even their "Prestige" model. Mine came with the "Prestige Plus" reel, which is totally fine for most purposes though pretty heavy. Also, this rod does not have the warranty that other Cabela's rods do. They replaced mine when it broke because Cabela's is awesome, but they weren't supposed to and weren't obligated to under the warranty.

randyflycaster 08-08-2009 08:38 AM

Then I would go with a 4-piece. You might want to travel with it one day, and a 4-piece is easier to travel with than a 2-piece.

Randy

fishosopher 08-10-2009 06:17 PM

FYI, the 7-piece is made from superior graphite than the 5-pc. I believe it casts better, too.