The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Woodrow is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece

The other day I posted that I was looking for a rod for redfish and bass. There was good advice given that I am looking into.

I was on the Pier and Surf board and came across someone wanting a similar outfit and he mentioned a 9' 8 wt Cabelas 5 piece combo for between 150.00and 219.00 depending on the reel.

I have a Stowaway 7'6" 4 wt with a Battenkill reel I use for trout fishing in the mountains. It is a great rod for the money and I was wondering if the 9' 8wt would be good for redfish and bass? I am not sure which of the reels to use if any.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece

My concern would be with stronger/bigger fish like redfish...would a 5 piece rod fail more often than a 2 or 4 piece. In other words, more stress points (the ferruls) to fail or loosen. I have no experience with this rod, but that would be my concern
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I think the rod comes with a 25 year guarantee. If you're looking for a 5-piece
I'd certainly consider it. I cast a 5-weight and it cast surprisingly well.

My only question: why a 5-piece over a 4? If there's a real reason to go with the 5, like it fits in your luggage, then go with it.

Randy
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM

Woodrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

My only question: why a 5-piece over a 4? If there's a real reason to go with the 5, like it fits in your luggage, then go with it.

Randy
It does not matter if it is 2, 4, or 5. I am just looking at all options and listening to advice to make my choice.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Visit a fly shop and cast a few rods. The one that casts the best for you is the one that you should buy. It would be a real pain when you got to your destination and hated casting the rod that you just bought.

Sorry, I have no information on the Cabelas rod.

Stay away from 2 piece rods. They are harder to travel around with.

MP
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road

I have the Cabela's 5 piece 8'6" 5wt. Great rod, can't speak to the 8wt though. If you're going for it might as well jump on it now because all the other sizes are sold out. The rod itself is on sale for only 79.00. I wouldn't bother with the combo, the line is pretty crappy generic cabela's, not even their "Prestige" model. Mine came with the "Prestige Plus" reel, which is totally fine for most purposes though pretty heavy. Also, this rod does not have the warranty that other Cabela's rods do. They replaced mine when it broke because Cabela's is awesome, but they weren't supposed to and weren't obligated to under the warranty.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Then I would go with a 4-piece. You might want to travel with it one day, and a 4-piece is easier to travel with than a 2-piece.

Randy
Old 08-10-2009, 06:17 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

FYI, the 7-piece is made from superior graphite than the 5-pc. I believe it casts better, too.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley