The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 12:34 AM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Rod Tube

I am in the process of beginning a build of an Orvis Trout Bum 6'6" 3wt and was curious of where I could find a rod tube to store and carry it in. Does Orvis sell the original tubes or have others found another place to buy them.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Tube

Just about every rod company sells OEM tubes. A friend of mine ordered an OEM Winston tube through the local shop. You are best off checking Orvis' customer service or going through an authorized Orvis retailer.

MP
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 AM

AKJay will become famous soon enough

Or just build one...its pretty simple and cheap to do.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

AKJay has the idea. I build mine out of PVC pipe for less than $5. It ain't real pretty but it works real well.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

Ant is right, pvc is cheap and you can't hurt it. even airline baggage handlers have a tough time. I use the standard round caps, glue on on and the other twists on with enough resistance that it doesn't come off. for airline travel you can use a screw on for one end. these are great in the back of your pickup.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I build a "field case" for all my rods out of PVC that excepts a four piece broken in half(so to speak). I cut a slot in the side of the tube that receives the reel base for that rod. Leaving the rods in a rigged and ready state helps me immensely. Paint them camo in case you need to stash it sometime. One case I put a sharpened bolt through the bottom cap, and a camera screw on the top cap. Wade streams with it, put a camera on it for the fish self portrait, and quick draw if you spot a fish.
The "new" thing is a converted Dewalt sander box, and two 11-12ft PVC tubes mounted to the bottom and the hole thing monted on top the truck. Slide the rod in and lock it closed with the reel on. Excellent for the switch/spey thing.

Bigfly
Old 08-08-2009, 07:33 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Be careful with the PVC caps though; that you don't tighten them too much. I did that the first time and when I got to the water I had a heck of a time opening it. I thought I was going to have to buy a monkey wrench just to go fishing....
Old 08-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

A friend built my first rod and recommended the pvc tube with the screw on cap. Works great! Bigfly - I and perhaps others would love to see some photos of your field case handicrafts.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I built one from PVC it didn't look very pretty, so I painted it now it looks pretty sharp. I also attached a canvas strap to be used as a shoulder strap. Cheap and easy, you can do it all for under an hour.
Cabot
Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a REALLY nice aluminum tube from this guy: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/The-Rodm...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

It may or may not be less expensive than an Orvis tube. Buy the sock and
tube combo, and you'll spend about $40.