The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   decorate your tying corner...or your living-room (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/10935-decorate-your-tying-corner-your-living-room.html)

jpbfly 08-08-2009 04:48 AM

decorate your tying corner...or your living-room

People visiting me at home often asked me to show them some flies,so years ago I decided to make a little "display frame"
First buy a photo frame'21x29,7mm(A4),remove the back.
Then cut four pieces of a brace or strut you stick inside the frame so that there will be enough room for the flies.
Cut a piece of plywood to make the new back.Draw three lines and drill five little holes the size of a match.
Stick a sheet of drawing paper the color you want,decorate it and write the names of the flies.
Cut little pieces of matches you insert into the holes and put the flies on them.
Sick the plywood back .
That's all!Pleasant to make and very decorative.
http://i85.servimg.com/u/f85/12/25/58/99/900_1810.jpg
http://i85.servimg.com/u/f85/12/25/58/99/900_1711.jpg

rustydeej 08-08-2009 07:17 AM

Re: decorate your tying corner...or your living-room

Well done-I like the idea!

Rusty

Bigfly 08-08-2009 02:49 PM

Most of my friends tye flies, so they whip up one as a visitor at my vice. I hang them on the wall stuck in a taxonomy fish poster in to liven my bachelor pad. A wall of shame is made of spinners and other evil hard wear I find on the water. A "Bigfly" Mobile is decorated with found bobbers. Winters can be long here, and the mind wanders!

Pocono 08-09-2009 06:08 AM

Nice effect, J-P.

A friend of mine has done the same thing with what we call a shadow box; which is essentrially a picture frame like yours, but with a deep frame and a matting layout that adds a certain 3 dimensionality to the display.

Have you ever been short a few flies and taken your picture with you to the stream; borrowed just a couple of flies from it with the promise to replace them as soon as you get back (chuckle)?

jpbfly 08-09-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:Have you ever been short a few flies and taken your picture with you to the stream; borrowed just a couple of flies from it with the promise to replace them as soon as you get back (chuckle)?
Allan,I have another bigger model...when I arrive by the streamside...I take it out...show it to the fish so that they can choose the pattern they want!:frogdance

Guest1 08-09-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigfly (Post 65167)
A wall of shame is made of spinners and other evil hard wear I find on the water. A "Bigfly" Mobile is decorated with found bobbers.

I have someones lost wire fish basket hanging from a lamp hook in my livingroom. Iv'e covered it with jigs, and lures hanging off the wire mesh and put the bobbers I find inside. If I kept all the mono I've found and properly disposed of I could fill a 50 gallon barrel. Don't even get me started on the trash I've cleaned up. I have a couple fairly interesting things I have snagged from the bottom fishing. I got a model Battle Ship, two pairs of glasses, and a really interesting decorative corner trim thing that feels like it's made out of lead. I display these on the top of my kitchen cupboards. I once snagged a timex watch from the bottom of Lake Vermillion. I cleaned it up and it still worked. I think my nephew still uses it.

jpbfly 08-09-2009 03:37 PM

quote:I once snagged a timex watch from the bottom of Lake Vermillion. I cleaned it up and it still worked. I think my nephew still uses it.
That's the one you offered him for Xmas Dan?:frogdance
One day...if Frank allows me I"ll tell you what we found by the riverside a fews ago:eek:...I crie with laughter everytime I remember this story:lol2:

Pocono 08-09-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbbfly (Post 65234)
Quote:Have you ever been short a few flies and taken your picture with you to the stream; borrowed just a couple of flies from it with the promise to replace them as soon as you get back (chuckle)?
Allan,I have another bigger model...when I arrive by the streamside...I take it out...show it to the fish so that they can choose the pattern they want!:frogdance

OK J-P,

How do you know that they're not choosing the fly that they won't bite on / rather than the one that that will bite on?!? :rolleyes:

jpbfly 08-10-2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocono (Post 65266)
OK J-P,

How do you know that they're not choosing the fly that they won't bite on / rather than the one that that will bite on?!? :rolleyes:

There's a famous beautiful french song called "I know"the last sentence of the song by a man at the end of his life is "Now I know we never know"....

FrankB2 08-10-2009 12:37 PM

Nice! I made one of those for my father about 5 years ago. The idea was
to use maybe 20 different patterns, but it grew to about 35. The thing
was huge, but he has it hanging in his office (physician). His patients see
it, and often mention that they are flyfishermen.