The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Things do go bump at night.

Hell yes, it works. Big fish do big portions of their snacking on big things at night.

A word of advice- Eye Protection! We're all fairly able to dodge a fly headed at our face in the daylight when we can see it, but you've gotta be superman to dodge a fly you're first spotted 3' away. For those who don't wear eyeglasses, the $10 safety glasses seen at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

BC, good call on the glasses, I'm amazed I still have both eyes. Mostly it's a water load across and up a little. I rarely make overhead casts, using roll casts and snap-Ts too.
The line is on the water more, and fewer tangles in the dark. After awhile, you can feel when the streamer tip (color change) reaches the last tip on the rod.
As far as worrying about furry things, last year I was stalked by a Cougar while answering natures call! It was interesting to be on the menu for a change, lets you know how the other half lives eh?

Bigfly
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely correct on the glasses. I heard on TV about 6 or 8 months ago that fishing had taken first place for eye injuries in a sport. It took it away from basketball. My only surprise was the basketball part.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
last year I was stalked by a Cougar while answering natures call!
Happened to me once too. But I told her I had a girl friend.....Lord I apologize for that.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Fishing at night....Love it! You do your scouting of your chosen spot during the day, and safely fish it in the dark... I have fished the Hex hatch here in MI for the last 20 years and only wish it lasted longer... The Big Browns come out for their evening meal, and if you are fortunate you have the dish they want.

The coyotes howling, the owls calling, the swish of your flyline as you make your cast; all wonderful sounds in the dark. The bats and the nighthawks flying around, I love it! The only negative I have ever really had was the one time I got an unexpected catch, bats get very perturbed when you hook one...lol That was one fly I didn't mind losing.

Night fishing is very peaceful to me, gives you time to truly focus on what you are doing at that very moment in time. It's not for everyone, but it is definitely something I will continue to do as long as I am physically able.

Dan
Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I'm swingin' streamers, or larger bits like a Cray patten under an indy. Get everything on the water downstream, bobber line weight flies etc... raise it into a roll cast across , short swing across and down, doodle a mend or two. ad a little down stream forearm pump or two...repeat! It's not pretty, but it is fun sometimes. I like the times when the moon is in the sky during the day. An hour or so after sunset is game on. Midnight or one AM is another level by yourself. This is a great buddy activity, if you can find one who'll join you.

Bigfly