The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Things do go bump at night.

Fly fishing after dark is legal here, and A few guys actually do it.
If you haven't tried it, I can tell you it is scary and productive at the same time. Find a spot during the day that looks good (and easy too).
Blueprint the path to that spot during the day, then return very quietly at the witching hour.
The C&F threaders are a good call, along with a red headlight.
Not only can you hook fish that break off on 2x, but you can improve your casting by hearing, and feeling the line/rod interaction more.
Seeing with your ears, feeling with your feet. Dealing with the dark, and big water, and big fish simultaneously is some of the most challenging fishing around here. Not very crowded either.

"Big browns need love too!"

Bigfly
Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Things do go bump at night.

I tried night fly fishing once. I kept popping off my flies and was almost mauled by bats. But no fish.

But my step daughter was using her spin reel and caught a turtle almost the size of a hub cap.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Yeah I've tried fly fishing at night too. Not my cup of tea. And that was in my back yard in our pond! That was kind of a creepy experience to tell the truth haha. Couldn't imagine going down to the creek by the house to go fishing.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Two weeks ago I caught a 28" brown just after dark on a mouse fly. Biggest fish of my life. I'll be doing more of it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
I tried night fly fishing once. I kept popping off my flies and was almost mauled by bats. But no fish.

But my step daughter was using her spin reel and caught a turtle almost the size of a hub cap.

That is the seond time today ive heard a fishing story involving somthing the size of a hub cap...no joke
Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 AM

flyfishco is on a distinguished road

The best time to catch really big browns on a topwater fly...and its not really creepy especially with a full moon at your back, here in CO its kind of a big secret on pressured waters
Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We fish the salt at night a lot, in fact this time of year fishing is best between midnight and dawn. After your eyes adjust, you mostly only need a light to change flies.
There's plenty of things out there going 'bump in the night' though. I've nearly been run over by deer a few times. ...surrounded by howling coyotes.... and skunks wandering up behind you is especially creepy.
Once when wading about crotch deep I had a large fish bump into me.
That was probably 15 years ago. To this day, I still never wade deeper than my knees at night..... (insert the sound track to Jaws here )
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I fish my pond at night. The big bass are out and more aggressive then. Big top water flies work great. I hope to be somewhere I can night fish for big trout. Getting to know the stream real well is very important if I expect to do well............and not go swimming. Having spent lots of time out in the woods, in the dark, leaves me concerned only about falling in the stream.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've fished largemouth in the dark quite a bit. You have a spot where you catch 2 or 3 pounders all day. Go back in the dark and get 4 or 5 pounders. Same spot.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

lol im ok...if i night fish here a bear, wolf, mountainlion, bobcat, or a scary person might attack me...