The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funky internet advice.....Cheating?

OK, I just decided to go to a higher authority for what should be the final word on this subject. The IGFA. Here is what they said; Putting a bottom bouncer in the leader and trolling a fly is not fly fishing. Any record submitted caught in this manner would be disqualified. Replacing the fly line with lead core and trolling a fly is not an accepted method of fly fishing and no record would be accepted caught in this manner.
I'm am not now nor have I ever said you should not fish this way, I just said I didn't think it should be called fly fishing. The IGFA agrees with me. As I said, I am not saying don't do it, I'm just saying it is'nt fly fishing. This does not include nymphing, split shot, indicators or anything else I didn't mention. JUST lead core and bottom bouncers. Oh, and taping a fly to a stick of dynamite isn't fly fishing either. And I am saying don't do that.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

WWHHEEEEEUUUUUU!!!!

Glad somebody told us...

I didn't consider the idea that somebody would catch a fish this way and enter it into the record books...

I still plan on using a fly rod next spring in that east texas lake when my wife and I go back... 12" Crappie's on a fly rod are a hoot compaired to an ultralight. But I won't submit any records with it how I fish it.

What is the link to the IGFA? I would love to take a look.

Fun stuff and thanks
Crittergetter
Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
WWHHEEEEEUUUUUU!!!!

What is the link to the IGFA? I would love to take a look.

Fun stuff and thanks
Crittergetter
http://www.igfa.org