The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funky internet advice.....Cheating?

I decided to see what kind of advice is floating around the internet for fly fishing Walleye. I hate to say it, but most of it is outright wrong or cheating in my opinion. One site said troll flies with a BOTTOM BOUNCER (!!!!!) on the leader. Another said troll flies with lead core line. Am I the only one who thinks this is not fly fishing? Sure you use a fly rod and flies, but really? Bottom bouncers and lead core? Is this still fly fishing? Another one said you have to go to far North Canada to fly fish Walleye this time of year. Nobody told the three big Walleyes I got this evening. (Just South of far South Canada)
Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Funky internet advice.....Cheating?

I fish the shallows at night around dam structures, vey productive. During the day I will use lead core to get deeper, but I still cast it.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
During the day I will use lead core to get deeper, but I still cast it.
The way these guys were talking there was NO fly line and just trolling with lead core. I assume you still have a fly line and are just using a section of lead core kind of Skagit Cheater style. Trolling with lead core you can do with guides taped to a broom handle. No fly rod needed. You are still fly fishing. I don't really think trolling with lead core even if it is on a fly rod is fly fishing. Does anyone else think it is?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Trolling for land-locked salmon is a time honored tradition in northern New England. Many classic streamers were developed for this type of fishing.

I troll in my kayak for saltwater fish, but usually just when traveling from place to place. It's a good way to scout for fish.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I agree that trolling with a fly rod really isn't fly fishing at all, but that's just my opinion. But then again, I've never been a fan of trolling to begin with. To me, it's like deer hunting by driving around until you see a deer and shoot it out the window.

I'd rather find a spot that likely has a fish in it and try my darndest to get it on a hook. I like the challenge more that way.

Anthony
Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Is fishing with leadcore different than fishing with a full-sink line or a sink tip?
Lots of folks "troll" with sinking lines and streamers, chironomids, from float tubes. It's a pretty common way of fishing deep stillwater.
I don't have an opinion pro or con as far as the "cheating", I'm just throwing this out there.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Is fishing with leadcore different than fishing with a full-sink line or a sink tip?
Lots of folks "troll" with sinking lines and streamers, chironomids, from float tubes. It's a pretty common way of fishing deep stillwater.
I don't have an opinion pro or con as far as the "cheating", I'm just throwing this out there.
OK, but what about the bottom bouncer? Nobody can think that is really fly fishing can they?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

never heard of using bottom bouncing, I use any where from 10' to 40' of lead core attached to a running line for casting and trolling. Trolling a lake or pond can be very effective. Learn the structure, wind and current. Yes the are some currents in lakes. We chase striper, trout, bass, walleyes this way. same goes for the salt. trolling 2 rods with flys through a school of stripers or blue fish can be fun...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the average fly fisherman is not even aware of what a bottom bouncer is, so I am adding a link to this post that shows one. Second photo from the top. http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc2/rickolsen2.htmlThey typically weigh 1 1/2 to 2 oz. The main line attaches where it bends. Then the lure or in the case of Flies a 3' or longer leader to the fly attaches where the snap is. The typical gear for the is a stiff 6 1/2' casting rod. You can see why I think adding this device to a fly rod does not make it fly fishing.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm pretty sure the average fly fisherman is not even aware of what a bottom bouncer is, so I am adding a link to this post that shows one. Second photo from the top. http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc2/rickolsen2.htmlThey typically weigh 1 1/2 to 2 oz. The main line attaches where it bends. Then the lure or in the case of Flies a 3' or longer leader to the fly attaches where the snap is. The typical gear for the is a stiff 6 1/2' casting rod. You can see why I think adding this device to a fly rod does not make it fly fishing.
Kinda like fishin' with a 'slinky rig'
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/slinkies/