The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM

sbalogh is on a distinguished road
Arrow Sage xi3 8wt help_ REEL NEEDED!

Hi all,

I just purchased a sage xi3 8wt, finally after months of saving up on my college budget.

I plan on using this rod for my spring break trip to turks and caicos for some bonefish, and the occasional salt water trip for redfish and all that kind of stuff. I am a student at the University of Arkansas so I also plan on using it for some smallmouth and freshwater striper as well as throwing streamers for large browns on the famous White river. And of course back home in Texas for those fat largemouth bass.

I have not decided on a reel yet to go with this rod, which is a big problem haha. I have been lookin at the Lamson Guru and that is a possibility but I really do not want to break my bank... or should I say piggy bank. I came across Allen & Co reels which are quite good looking and extremely affordable. Would it be a shame to put a $110 reel on an $800 rod? Has anyone used these reels for the type of fish I will be hunting?

Any suggestions on an affordable reel to go with this rod, keep in mind some saltwater but primarily large freshwater fish, would be extremely helpful!

Please let me know of any 8wt reels you think would be good for my use,

Thanks alot,

Stevo

PS. my spring break trip to turks is march 19 and also the whitebass/hyrbrid/strip are going to start running here in Arkansas very soon!

And any advice on self-guided bonefishing in turks and caicos would be greatly appreciated as well. Ill be staying at the Club Med on the northern side of Provo.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sage xi3 8wt help_ REEL NEEDED!

it would be a shame of shames to put a $110 reel on an $800 rod... shame times ten to the infinity-ith power. have you looked at MAKO reels?....

just joking... i own 4 lamsons: 2 konics, 1 guru, 1 litespeed..... they serve me well.... i've heard a lot of good things about the allen reels on this here forum.... might even pick me up one in the near future...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A Lamson Velocity 3.5 would be my pick.

But I think I'd spend my $1000 on fishing differently. I'd take the rod back and buy either a TFO Axiom or BVK, an ECHO Ion, or something similar. Spend the extra money on a local guide once you get to your destination.

DIY bonefishing is notoriously fruitless.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor, either a IV or a V. There's a bunch on ebay right now. For line weights 7 and up, they're the only reel I use. Never failed me in salt or freshwater and the look good, too.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Happy reeling,
Gary
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

handsome reels.... i like the handles on those reels.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM

sbalogh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I would love to get a more expensive reel for my rod but, like i said, im on a college budget haha. I think, once I get a response to a few questions from Allen FF, I will purchase one of those. And then later get a nicer reel. I have so many setups that I could use an extra anyways, and for the price, you cant beat it, from what Ive read.

I have an Orvis Battenkill on a 7wt my dad bought around ten years ago. I dont really like it though, if i remember correctly it is quite heavy, and also its old.

Ill jut have to do what I can with the money I have and save up to make my xi3 the perfect setup.

Thanks again for the replies... and keep'em comin! I could always use some advice.

Stevo
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

There is a huge difference between an Orvis Battenkill and an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor, FYI.
Have fun.
Gary