The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Drift Boat Oars

Suggestions for new oars?

Brands, length?

Thanks, Dave
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Drift Boat Oars

What type of boat? Different boats use different lenghts. As for brands I use and highly recommend Cataract Oars SGX Counter Balanced with Magnum Blades. Here is a link to a place with good prices Oars > Cataract Oars

And here is the link to the Cataract website for information
Cataract Oars - Products - SGX

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.. Hyde Pro High Side

The standard oars are 9 feet.. trying to gauge if I should upgrade, and if so to what..

Those are the exact ones they're suggesting as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Thanks.. Hyde Pro High Side

The standard oars are 9 feet.. trying to gauge if I should upgrade, and if so to what..

9ft should be good for you, I don't think longer would do much but you could probably go to 9.5 if you want too. I use 9ft on my Cackacraft Fly Pod LP 16ft and they work perfect!!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link for Hyde Outdoors Hyde Drift Boats - Built for Fishermen, by Fishermen . LaMoyne and staff will help you choose the right size and model for you.

Kelly.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also take into consideration what type of water you'll be floating most often. Some oars today are designed for shallower water, for instance.Drift Boat Oars, Handcrafted Wooden Oars, Paddles, Rowing Oars, Sculling, Surf Oars

A friend of ours also swears by Wooden Handled Oars made with Ash Wood, according to him they give more thrust because of the flex involved.

The perfect combination (if affordable) would be to have a set like Davo and Larry have, AND a set of skinny water blades that you can change out when needed. Pop the Magnums off and insert the Skinnies!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 03-01-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I finally upgraded my oars with the counter balanced oars last season from the same link that Davo posted, couldn't be happier!

Larry

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks everyone.. have these coming:

9 1/2' Cataract Oars SGX Counter Balanced with Magnum Blades
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Thanks everyone.. have these coming:

9 1/2' Cataract Oars SGX Counter Balanced with Magnum Blades
Looks like a good choice, you won't be disappointed!

Larry

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM

dhayden

Keep us posted on how the extra 1/2 a foot works for you!! with the counter balance and magnum blades your oars will now float on top when you let go of them. I used to have the older sgg style on my Lavro and the sank like rocks so you had to always ship your oars which was a pain.