The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Danvise, has anyone used it?

I've been looking at this vise for some time now and I always change my mind. I'm not sure why I cant get over the plastic thing. I have reels made of Delrin and I've abused the life out of them without damaging them. Has anyone used one? How is the jaw strength?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Danvise, has anyone used it?

The Danvise was my intro to rotary several years ago. I didn't get 6 months out of it and the plastic broke and I replaced it with an Anvil Apex which I have tied successfully on for the past five years or so. Just my experience, but I don't trust ever going back to one. I am looking seriously at the Peak rotary, and will probably pull the trigger at one of this year's tying expos.

Kelly
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Peak and though have just begun tying flies I can find no fault or issues with the design to cause me grief.

Dave
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I know someone who used one for a year or so and it broke. Meanwhile my Renzetti has been tying for 5 years now, and his Dyna-King has been tying for 4 years since he threw the Dan-Vise out the window. He found a couple of bad reviews before he purchased it but he decided to give it a try because he wasn't ready to spend the $250 on the Dyna yet. Now he wishes he would have never messed with the Dan-Vise.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I tied on my Danvise tonight. It's now my travel vise. After a number of years no issues. Not totally true. I'm on my second set of jaws. The jaw torque is so much stronger than most that it's not too difficult to dent the jaws. The jaws are metal. At home I've got a higher end pedestal vise, and there is not that much difference tying on the two.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Over ten years of flawless use with mine.

Other grass has looked greener, but not enough to replace the thing yet.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I tied on my Danvise tonight. It's now my travel vise. After a number of years no issues. Not totally true. I'm on my second set of jaws. The jaw torque is so much stronger than most that it's not too difficult to dent the jaws. The jaws are metal. At home I've got a higher end pedestal vise, and there is not that much difference tying on the two.
What Jimmie said. The jaws dent really easily. I now use two sets of jaws. My old, dented ones for large flies (streamers) and my new set for smaller flies.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Over ten years of flawless use with mine.

Other grass has looked greener, but not enough to replace the thing yet.
Not that long, but soooo far so good.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I know someone who used one for a year or so and it broke. Meanwhile my Renzetti has been tying for 5 years now, and his Dyna-King has been tying for 4 years since he threw the Dan-Vise out the window. He found a couple of bad reviews before he purchased it but he decided to give it a try because he wasn't ready to spend the $250 on the Dyna yet. Now he wishes he would have never messed with the Dan-Vise.
So, $80 for a DanVise and 3X+ that for the Dyna-King? What a deal
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Swirl,
You will read positives and negatives about the Danvise. The best thing for you to do is to go to a shop and tie on a few of their vises. The one that meets your needs the best is the one you should be tying on.

MP