The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Waist High Waders

I am considering purchasing some waist high waders. I fish for trout in CA a few times a year - will be visiting the Upper Sac for a week next month. Budget=$200 +/-. Any suggestions as to brand and/or whether it is a worthwhile investment? I am 6'3" 235 with size 15 feet.

~Noiso
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waist High Waders

I have Rivendell waist highs and I love them. You can score them on e-bay for like $50.
Good quality wader.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Check out Orvis. I purchased a pair of Tailwater XTs on sale for $199.99 and with them came a free pair of wading boots. A great deal in my opinion. As for the waders, I used them 20+ times in July up on the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork and they were outstanding. By far the best pair of waders I have used to date. Love the waist highs and seriously doubt I will ever go back to chest highs.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
Check out Orvis. I purchased a pair of Tailwater XTs on sale for $199.99 and with them came a free pair of wading boots. A great deal in my opinion. As for the waders, I used them 20+ times in July up on the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork and they were outstanding. By far the best pair of waders I have used to date. Love the waist highs and seriously doubt I will ever go back to chest highs.
WOW! those are a great price. Provided they have his size.
The only problem I have with them is the fact the BOOT is attached. I wear out boots faster than waders, but I wet wade.
Plus the boots are felt sole.
You have to be sure the boot fits right too.
For that price....it could be worth it.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

You can get the Orvis Tailwater waders as a stocking foot or bootfoot. They have the stocking foot on sale with free boots. The bootfoot waders are also on sale. I just got some Simms waist highs. I've been using Hodgeman waist highs for 2 yrs now with no leaks. The Hodgemans fit real well and keep me bone dry. The feet aren't lt/rt. I think that's a big plus in the more expensive waders, though I can't say the Hodgemans have been uncomfortable in the feet. They push on my toes at times, though. I'll break the Simms in for 3 days in Pa early next week. All that said, waist highs are all I wear.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Okay, I see it now. On sale for $249.
I bought these at the beginning of the summer and got to say, they are really well built. And the PRICE!!!!
Mine are the waist highs, but They have a Zipper. Not that that does me any good..LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivendell-SF-fly...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Thanks folks!
I forgot to mention that I need the stocking foot -already have boots. I wonder, will the folks at Orvis flinch if I order XL-long waders and the free wading boots in a size 6 women's (for my gal)? I'll definitely check out the Hodgeman and Rivendell brands as well. The Orvis come in a nice variety of sizes and I think the size 13 socks should stretch to my size like they did on my current chest high waders.
Thanks again.
~Noiso
Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
Thanks folks!
I forgot to mention that I need the stocking foot -already have boots. I wonder, will the folks at Orvis flinch if I order XL-long waders and the free wading boots in a size 6 women's (for my gal)? I'll definitely check out the Hodgeman and Rivendell brands as well. The Orvis come in a nice variety of sizes and I think the size 13 socks should stretch to my size like they did on my current chest high waders.
Thanks again.
~Noiso
I really doubt they would even notice.

Larry
Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

LLBean makes a waist high version of their $100 wader that gets such rave reviewss- http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...4-tn&cat4=1109

I'll probably get myself a pair of these before too long- http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...1109-sub2&np=Y Looks like a good deal and a very convenient option.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.