The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Bloodknot Magazine

Found yet another on-line fly fishing magazine.

In the first few pages, there are screen shots from this forum....

It's not too bad. Similar to Catch magazine.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM

bloodmeridian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bloodknot Magazine

Yeah, not bad
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

Yes we are similar to Catch in that we are both online about fly fishing. However, Catch is pure entertainment. Catch is fantastic for what they do. They don't do gear reviews, industry news, or the funny WTF kind of stuff that we do. Glad that you found us! Please let us know if there is anything else you think that we should cover!

Rory
Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Cant say i was overly fond of this most recent editorial...
Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Axle: I agree it was a very entertaining read, on top of that is even better to have them as a sponsor of NAFFF! Welcome aboard Bloodknot Magazine!

Larry

Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 AM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

@vans: We aren't going to please everyone all of the time. What did you not like? Anything you did like this issue?
@mcnerney: Thanks! This is a great place for people to voice their thoughts, techniques, secrets, and photos. People taking part in forums shouldn't be afraid to voice their honest opinions. We want to hear what people have to say about us.

Rory
Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome publication, i'll be looking throw more of it in the coming days.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryseiter View Post
@vans: We aren't going to please everyone all of the time.
Oh, i know that. That would be an impossible task to set for yourselves.

Quote:
What did you not like? Anything you did like this issue?
I really liked 99% of the magazine. I just didnt like the editorial. I didnt like the attitude expressed towards new fly fishermen. Perhaps that is because this will be all of my second summer fly fishing.

Is it bad to be so excited about it you read the well known authors? Is Geirach a cliche at this point? Is it bad to be so excited about your new obsession you paw through all the catalogs you can find? It seems from the comments in the column that buying an Orvis item would be bad. That owning such, or a similarly priced piece of equipment, would make a new fisherman look like he is pretending to be "official" or over compensating his/her lack of experience with gear. If that was the case why was there a review of a top dollar name brand chestpack in this same issue?

Yes, i was hunkered down this winter. However, that was due more to finances and to a degree a lack of confidence just yet in my technical skill in the demanding coastal steelhead rivers and streams near me. It might only be my second spring and summer with a fly rod but i do have more than one snowy January wading stomach deep in freezing water with a steelhead rod in hand under my belt. Not all of us only come out in the warmth of summer.

Frankly, combat fishing sucks and often times brings out the worst in some fisherman. At least it does during the Oregon fall Chinook run and winter steelhead season. Lots of people crowding the banks these days, some of whom think they own a large section of the water. If hunkering down during the winter while getting some more practice in and then come spring and summer get some more polish on the cast keeps me from hearing some seasoned guy chortle in superiority, no skin of my back. Its not like he was too friendly anyways.

Am i allowed to feel like i am entirely comfortable with my fly fishing skills to deal with most situations on the water before i take up yet another aspect of the process? One that seems intensely tedious and requires another substantial investment of money and time, bent over a tiny vise with a magnifying glass.

Yes, I took the trash talk too seriously. Despite the writers call not too. Frankly it seemed there was a strain of seriousness underneath what was supposed to be some good nature trashing. I am sure it was unintentional, but that doesnt always come across in text too well. Especially so when the reader feels he is being belittled or impugned.

I suppose i could go out in my gear and roll around in the dirt and gravel to get some of that new stench off them sooner so i dont stick out like a sore thumb. Dont get too cocky though, never know when one of us new guys is gonna come up with some better casts or more refined skill than Mr "well seasoned trout bum" editor.

Other than that, great issue.

Seriously, i do like the magazine.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Guys,

Well, I had to go and read the column after reading Van's rather thorough critique. I saw some things written that I would not submit but then that's just me. Hopefully without offending anyone I will comment on the piece also.

One of my golden rules of commentary is 'to avoid condescension at all cost'. I have spent a lot of time on this forum, in fly shops all over America, and on the water. In all these experiences I have met some very knowledgeable people. I have also met those who have came on a little strong. We have a thread here asking about what was 'your' best experience of the 2010 season and we had a person post to the thread asking, "What is this season you refer to?". I was perhaps wrong but I read a certain veiled poke into the remark and eventually removed it from the thread because it was out of keeping with the rest of the replies.

As for some of the points made in the Editors column; I have lived long enough to experience everything that was mentioned. I've done my drinking, and I remember fingering that glossy Orvis catalog when Orvis introduced their first 'Low Modulus Graphite rods'. That would have been the days when if you owned one of those old brown Fenglass rods you were doing pretty well. There are people using this forum and reading Blood Knot who were fishing the Salmon River for Salmon and Steelhead when 'snagging' was still legal and we were doing it with 9' Fiberglass rods and Atlantic Salmon flies. Myself, my first steelhead trip came in November and if I recall the water was quite cold. I didn't catch any of them but I continued to go all winter until I did. Back then there was no Internet or pocket digital cameras so you just released the fish and your friends took your word that you had been successful.

I can tell some stories about the years when I was new to fly fishing. Everyone was new at some time or another. I may have been a nimrod but I was fishing The Paradise Valley before it was posted and Ted Turner hadn't made enough money yet to but half of Montana. Trust me on this, not being a 20 year veteran did not diminish the catching of Atlantic Salmon in the tidal flows of Newfoundland or wandering along the Miramichi and Margaree rivers when I was still fishing glass for salmon. Then there's always the days when I was still fingering those Orvis catalogs before taking a mid-week trip to the Letort Spring, back before the chemical spill at the watercress farm. Those were the glory days for sure, there were trout below the Interstate 81 bridge as big as Wolf Class Subs and the average 'sipper' in the Meadows were around 16 - 18" long, I've seen some stuff. I used to sit and talk fishing with Charlie Fox on the bench behind his home on the Letort. Here was a man who had forgotten more about catching those trout than I was ever going to know but still he was engaging and warm, never aloof, and very helpful. I try hard to follow the examples laid down to me by the men I met who were gracious enough to teach me how to 'look official'.

Todays fly fishers are perhaps a different breed and they have different ways of expressing themselves. I will close by saying that I have always appreciated people who were modest and have had the pleasure of knowing many of them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I like the rag. I'll admit that I don't read it as often as I'd like, but.....

Vans, I don't think the editorial was talking about newbies at all. There is a learning curve and doing all those things is how one works through that curve.

My interpretation was that he was talking about those guys on the stream that looked like they went to the Simms store, pointed at a mannequin and said "gimme all that stuff." Then went to the Orvis store and bought the rest of their gear, so they can look like a "fly fisherman" and strut around the stream like they should be walking on the water instead of wading through it. I've seen the type and I'm sure that by now you have too.

I read it as the editor was poking fun at them, as they are not "true diehards." (As if freezing your a** off for finicky trout does.) I will agree with you that it does come off as a bit "prickish," as a guy can do all those things the editor mentioned as cardinal sins and still be a stand up guy. Or he can be that alluded to "diehard" and still he can be a complete a-hole.

How one completes one's hobbies does not define his or her character.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog