The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 PM

inky is on a distinguished road
Default Fins on a Pontoon Boat

Hello All,

I'm looking to upgrade to a better pontoon boat and would like to buy one that has a platform and lean bar for standing. But I like to use fins with my pontoon boat especially when I'm slowly trolling on the bottom of lakes. Fins also allow me to compensate for wind so I don't always have to use an anchor. So my question is, will the standing platform interfere with my ability to use fins? Just looking at the pictures of boats I'm interested in it seems like there would be a conflict.

I'm looking at several different boats including the Northfork Madison and Skykomish Sunrise ST, the Outcast Discovery 10-IR, and the Water Skeeter River Guide Pro. I like Bucks Bags too, but they don't seem to have a model with a standing platform.

Any other suggestions on boats with the same basic configuration as the ones I have mentioned, or work arounds to the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Inky
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fins on a Pontoon Boat

I want to say that some of the Scadden pontoons have standing platforms that slide out of the way while you are floating and pull forward when you stand up. That was one of the things that attracts me to his lineup of pontoons. Maybe someone with more know knowledge can chime in.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I think they all slide. I have the Outlaw with the same frame as the Skykomish.
I can stand with my Force Fins, but the nubbies on the bottom of the flippers make it a bit slippery. So, I have been using the regular flippers with the flat bottom and the strap across the front and plastic heel.
Bad thing about those is they wear out my boots where the Force Fins don't.
I ended up putting one of the rubber suction cup tube mats on the shelf and I don't slide anymore.

One thing I would like to say. The standing platform on the North Fork are bigger than the 10 IR and I am betting bigger than the Water Skeeter. This is a big plus in my opinion.
They are fun!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I use fins with mine too. Even though FG and I are hitched, we don't agree or do things the same. This time, yes we do. But I'm 6'3" and 225 (+/_5) and when I use the standing platform, the fins stay on. Whether it's the FF or the cheaper $30 pair. Like she mentioned, the FF have rounded "bumps" on the bottoms. They do get a little slippery but they're manageable. I wouldn't mind trying the Omega flip fins, but I don't know anyone who has them.