The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you blue dun

Reading about a friend catching the Grayling and the upper Provo / Uinta's got me thinking about hitting it this weekend. Have an Annual pass and everything.
So off we go. No waders, no tubes, so I am thinking the rivers. We get up to Washington and Hubby said, let's go. Well we had Baxter with us and I knew he was going to love all these trees.
It seemed like it took forever to get there then walking forever....I WANNA FISH!!! Don't get me wrong, I loved the walking through the trees and all that, it's just...I WANNA FISH!!!![laugh]
I was getting cranky and then to top it off, I had my bamboo and my 10' TFO (Thinking it would be a nice edge on the shore fishing.) in my hand while walking through the forest. I look up and the top section of the TFO was gone. Okay...DO NOT WANT TO BE AROUND ME AT THIS POINT!!!![mad]
Hubby and Baxter backtracked and found it.

Well now we are dealing with COLD! and wind in the face. I was not quite dressed for the 8,000 foot more or less elevation.

I decided to give it my best and calm down. Tied on a big dry Blue Dun tied for me. Rolled it on out there and a couple of good slams on the big dry. So I attached a 20" dropper with a Modified PT.
Rolled it on out and BAM on the nymph:

TIGER TROUT
Click the image to open in full size.

Rolled it out again and BAM!

A BROOKIE:

Rolled it out again and BAM!

A RAINBOW:

Okay, I am a little freak about now and thinking what a killer fly.
Cast out one more time and this IS the forth cast with the Nymph.....BAM!!

GRAYLING:

CRAZY!!!! Caught more Rainbow and Brookies but had to time it between wind gusts

BIGGEST Trout of the day Slammed the Blue Dun "SKUNK"

Besides being very cold and wind in the face...it turned out to be a pretty great day. Four Casts...Four different Species.

FG
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thank you blue dun

Those are some nice fish, congrats! Never saw a greyling before, neat fish.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: Very nice results on the Blue Dun! Glad you found the tip of the TFO, that would have been a bummer!

Larry
Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

Nice catch! I've never heard of a Grayling but I'm guessing it's a type of trout. If you had to choose out of the four, which one would you most likely fish for?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling is in the CHAR family. Out of the four? That is tuff as the Tiger Trout and the Grayling FIGHT the best pound for pound, but I am going with the Grayling.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice looking Brookie there; also a member of the Char genus. I really like their markings in the late Summer and Fall; particularly the males, when they're in spawning colors.

Tiger trout are a cross, I think, between a Brookie and a Brown trout. From what I hear, they're pretty rare in the wild.

4 casts / 4 species; nice!

Mary, do you have any more of those flies? ?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great pics Joni...4 casts 4 fish...cool Glad you found your rod tip...

Dan
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Joni,

Wow! What great results on that fly! I wish I could say that I tied it! Those were Michigan Skunks that I purchased at Gates Lodge on the Au Sable in Michigan. I wanted to find a fly you were not likely to have tried before and would still work well in the western U.S. I picked that fly since I have not heard other people talk about using it outside of MI.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

It looks like the hike and agravation was worth it.

Frank

Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics and great story- looks like you found fly fishing heaven!

mark