The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 08:18 AM

wterry333 is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help what is this worth

Hi this is my first post I have a opertunity to buy a Sage 10140-3 GraphiteIII #10 14' 10 1/8oz and also a Orvis Vortex 13/14 these items are new and never been used and I have no idea what they are worth I want to use this set up for tarpon and sailfish
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Please Help what is this worth

Sir, that's giving big fish a 14' lever to kick your butt with. That is a spey rod intended for big rivers and steelhead and smaller salmon. That is not an offshore rig.

I would guesstimate both as being worth about $400 each.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

wterry-

Welcome to the board, glad to have you here.

That doesn't sound like a great set up for those species-- a long rod can be difficult to swing around on a boat, and as cliff said you'd lose a lot of leverage on a fish.

A more typical set up for big tarpon over 100 pounds would be a 9 foot long 12 weight rod matched to a high quality reel like a Tibor Gulfstream, Charleton Mako, etc that can hold 300 yds of 30lb backing.

This would be an expensive setup with limited application for other stuff if you plan on taking a few guided trips. On the other hand, if you have your own boat (or boats since tarpon are often targeted on flat skiffs, and sailfish would require something with a lot more freeboard for blue water), then a heavy outfit like a 9' 12 weight might be a good investment for tarpon, sails and occasional 100 lb tuna. Big marlin, large tuna etc would require a heavier outfit.

Tell us a little more about the fishing you plan to do--- it may be, if you're planning a trip for these species in a well established fly rod fishery, like the Keys, you'd be better off using the guide's tackle- it would usually be top of the line gear and you could avoid either sinking a ton of money into an expensive outfit or buying less expensive gear that might blow up on a fish of a lifetime. (Rods blow up all the time on these fish, I'm thinking here about the reel- because of the tremendous speed and power of these fish many reels that are fine for other species often seize up and/or blow apart).
On the other hand if you're planning to go to a more remote destination with a less well established fly fishery you might very well have to bring all your own gear--- this is something to check on before hand.

Again tell us a little bit more about the fishing you intend to do, the gear you have already, and what fishery (where) you plan to use it, and welcome to the board.

mark
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM

wterry333 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the info I dont know much about this stuff just getting geared up I plan on going to Florida this winter and maybe Costa Rica
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

For Florida, you can find guides that specialize in fly fishing for those species, especially tarpon. They would have top notch gear that you could use on the boat- just be sure to mention this when you book the trip. They should provide this at no extra charge with the charter. If possible have them bring both a 10 weight and a 12 weight.

Costa Rica might be a different story, with limited (if any) fly gear available at some lodges- but again you could confirm this when you book and get specific recommendations for gear based on both the size/species you will be targeting and all the other stuff you'll have a reasonable chance of running into. Many lodges in Costa Rica have mixed bag type fishing with opportunities for tarpon (often blind casting in lagoons as opposed to sight fishing on flats, which would be more typical of fishing in the keys), snook, permit, roosters and various off shore species including mahi, sails, and small tunas etc. Many folks would bring an arsenal of outfits with different line weights for this type of fishing, but for versatility, you might consider a 9' 10 weight for a mixed bag of inshore and offshore fish. (if you were concentrating on blue water off shore species with a reasonable chance or running into marlin and large tuna, and/or large tarpon 100lb+ specifically, a 12 weight would be probably the way to go.)

There's usually a big difference between a 10 and a 12 weight in most rod line ups (same brands/models just different weights), with the 10 having a much more caster friendly action, and the 12's (and 11's) being quite a bit stiffer-- with a 10 weight being more similar in action to an 8 weight than a 12 weight is similar to a 10 weight. Typically 12 weights and up are used for specific shots at spotted fish as opposed to blind casting all day-- that would be very tough. A 10 can be used for sight fishing as well of course, but also blind casting in deeper water-- which can add up to a lot of repeated casts over a long day on the water. For most folks, casting a 10 weight is a lot easier, and the first goal has to be getting a fly in front of a fish.

And some of it will come down to your experience and the stuff you may have already or plan to get down the road. If for example you already had an 8 weight for inshore SW, and a 10 weight for heavy inshore and small medium off shore, than a 12 weight would be the next logical addition and you'd be covered for pretty much everything except huge marlin and tuna.

Big, strong, fast fish like these can be tough on gear. High end rods and reels can run 600-700 a pop each for new ones at retail pricing. If you're on a budget you might look at some options for rods like TFO (around 250 new, 150-175 used for Axiom, TiCR, TiCrX models), Sage RPLX or RPLXi series (around 300-350 used), and a used reel like a Pate Tarpon (about 550 new but 350 ish used, built like a tank). I'm sure there are many others out there too that would be good choices but those would be some of the ones I'd look at.

If you have other buddies that fly fish, a local FF club, or local fly shop it would be great to get some casting in with some of these different outfits and line weights to get a feel for throwing with them.

mark
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wterry333,

Welcome to the forum. I think you are going to learn a lot from our many knowledgeable people.

You are smart that you asked questions before you put down your money. Many people buy an outfit and then ask how good it is. I always thought that was a backward way to do it.

You seem to have some high goals in fly fishing and that is great. Fly fishing is not like any other fishing. Any body can go out and hire a captain and fish for any fish in the ocean. However with fly fishing you have to know how to cast. That takes some practice and instruction. This is where you should begin. You need to learn how to cast and then you have to learn how to cast for distance.

As you learn to cast you will gain knowledge about equipment and have a much better understanding of what it takes to accomplish your goal of Tarpon or Sailfish. You need to start with smaller, easier to catch fish. You will find that there is quite a bit to learn besides casting such as line control, using the reel and drag, how to dress and what fly lines you need just to name a few.

So I think the best advise I can give you is to slow down and learn more about fly fishing before you buy any equipment. There will always be good deals out there.

Frank