The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default How much heat to damage a rod?

I've never really found what I feel is a satisfactory answer to the question.

I live in southern Ohio where summer temps can flirt with three digits, but usually don't exceed the 90º mark too many days a year.

I like to keep a rod in my truck, and I always leave the windows cracked an inch or two (I have ventshades on the windows). Last summer I left an inexpensive rod (cased and out of direct sunlight) in the truck and it suffered no apparent damage, but I would like to keep one of my better quality rods where I can always have it available.

Is it safe to leave a graphite rod in a vehicle in hot weather with some common sense precautions such as keeping it out of direct sunlight and close to the floor of the cab with some ventilation to let hot air escape from the cab?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How much heat to damage a rod?

The graphite itself should be fine. I would be more concerned about the epoxy especially the stuff (name escapes me) that they use to attach the tip top. The common sense things you mentioned, windows cracked out of direct heat should help. Maybe a rod builder can chime in on what temp it takes to break down the epoxies used in rod building. Put a thermometer in the truck and see how hot it gets before putting a good rod in there all day.

This is an ongoing discussion on golf boards with steel clubheads and shafts but concern about the epoxy and that stuff doesn't break down until about 230*.

Rich
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving a good rod in a hot car is a bad idea. The resin in the blank is set with heat. By leaving it in a car you can alter the properties of the blank. This is a quote from a site on car temps; "In hot weather in an open parking lot, the inside temperature of a car can rise by 7 degrees Fahrenheit in five minutes, 13 degrees in 10 minutes, 29 degrees in 30 minutes and 47 degrees in an hour. This means interior temperatures can reach levels lethal to small children in less time than some parents might think." I think this applies, because I think of my rods as my babies. If you look at the temperatures involved in curing blanks, you can see where the heats reached in a closed car can be bad news for a blank; "curing cycle would involve heating from room temperature to 170±5 degrees F., maintaining that temperature for 60 minutes, then raising the temperature to 275 degrees F., and maintaining the higher temperature for 60 minutes." While there might not be an immediately apparent damage, it may alter the blanks properties, like location of the spine, how straight it is etc.. I might be overly protective here, but why risk it?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM

rh6898 is on a distinguished road

Fly rods ain't cheap, why take a chance?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

There are few places in the world hotter than where I live and I've never had a problem. The possibility of theft is probably much higher than damage from heat. milt.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mike,

As you see there will be opinions landing on both sides of the 'to do or not to do' question and this is part of mining the group for a response. On days when I intended to fish every evening following my work I left my gear in the back of my full size Ford Bronco but had the option to park in the shade at almost every job-site. This seemed reasonable as a time saving practice so that I could get on the way to the water at the end of the day. I had the advantage that I was always in close proximity to the truck each day and theft was not a worry. I kept things covered with an old white blanket also.

So yeah I have left rods in the truck but only when they were being used regularly and never any of my bamboo

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

This may not be a cause-effect relationship, but I had a gear rod that was exposed to heat over a long period of time and it may have caused a catastrophic failure (on a nice, very expensive St. Croix baitcasting rod). It was hung up in my basement for a few months near the furnace and the first time I used it after it had been hung up it shattered on the third or fourth cast. The furnace radiated a good amount of heat.

I had owned the rod and used it for about five years (and therefore missed out on the warranty!), but it had never had an issue. It was a very solid steelhead rod and I was sad to see it go in such an unexpected way. I don't know if it was the heat that truly did it in, but it was the only thing that I could think of as I generally babied that rod.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more concerned with the line and especially the leader material

I leave a rod strung-up behind the seat of my truck all the time, in season.
Not a good rod though, but one that's acceptable for some quick, side of the road casts. Never a problem in 20+ years

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
This may not be a cause-effect relationship, but I had a gear rod that was exposed to heat over a long period of time and it may have caused a catastrophic failure (on a nice, very expensive St. Croix baitcasting rod). It was hung up in my basement for a few months near the furnace and the first time I used it after it had been hung up it shattered on the third or fourth cast. The furnace radiated a good amount of heat.

That's probably carbon monoxide emissions rather that the heat.
I know hanging waders near a furnace will kill them dead. I imagine that it wouldn't do rods much good either