The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Are you a Trout Unlimited member in Canada?
yes 1 16.67%
no 4 66.67%
Yes but in the US. 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 PM

troutheady is on a distinguished road
Default Brown Trout or Black Trout - Question

I just got back from a fantastic trip on the Limay River in Argentina. Huge browns and rainbows were aplenty.

I have a question about something I've never seen before. During the 6 day float we saw a few MASSIVE sleeping, brown trout (6+ kgs). They were a dark black, had a hooked jaw, and the eyes were white (completely blind). They were not sick and were very strong. One of the people on the trip physically netted one (ended up in a big wipeout and a bent net) and then when he let it go it only swam 5 feet away and fell asleep again.

Does anyone have a theory about what is going on with these fish? The normal browns migrate up the river from very deep lakes to chase minnows.

Thanks,

Al
(Calgary)

Last edited by troutheady; 03-02-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brown Trout or Black Trout - Question

Interesting story, I have no idea, but if you have any photos from your trip we sure would like to see them!

Larry

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM

troutheady is on a distinguished road

My buddy did get a photo, so I will post it when I can.

I am a photographer so I have lots and lots of Argentina photos as well. This was my 4th trip with Andes Drifters. They put together a superb trip. If anyone has questions about an Argentina trip I would be happy to respond.

I am brand new to this forum, so I'm not sure of the best place to post trip photos.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Never heard of such fish, but Welcome to the forum anyway! We have a photography thread in the Lodge Den forum where things get viewed a lot. It would be nice to see some there and you can also post on General Discussion if you want. Here is a link to the photography thread it has had over 12,000 views so they will be seen; Show us Your Photography

Glad to have you in the group,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like vampire trout to me!

Just kidding, I have no idea but I will second Larry for some pics.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog