The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM

herm99 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about leader to line connection..

I recently picked up a new reel and line, the shop that i bought it from was nice enough to spool the line on the reel for me. However when he did this, he attached a very short piece of leader at the end of the fly line, the leader is about 4" long and it has a loop at the end of it.
I also picked up some new leader and tippet, and the leader i picked up also has a looped end on the butt end. My question is, since I now have 2 looped ends that need to be connected, what is the best way to go about that? Should I just cut one of the loops off and do a cinch knot or something? Or is there a good knot to connect two loops?
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about leader to line connection..

Put the leader loop over the line loop, then pull the tippet end of the leader through the line loop...... like this
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM

herm99 is on a distinguished road

awesome! Great visual, thanks a ton! I will use that method.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Herm-

Rip Tide is right on the money as usual. The loop to loop connection is a fast and easy way to add a leader, rather than tying nail knots, so the guy at the shop was doing you a solid by attaching one to make it easier for you. The short length of mono the guy at the shop attached should be stiff enough to prevent "hinging" on your cast, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Also, Riptide gave you very good instructions. It's important to follow the directions as he gave them to you to end up with a "square knot" looking connection between the two loops. Putting the loop to loop connection together the wrong way results in a cutting type of knot that can slice through the mono loop when you hook into something big.

Good luck!

mark
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

IMHO... cut both loops off and use a 3 wrap nail knot to secure the leader to the line... a touch of ZAP or super glue the settle it and seal the tip and you're good to go. This will avoid any hinging and be much quieter on the water. The are several cheap knot tools available to make field tying simple and quick.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I'd tell you to leave the loops on and follow the directions above for making the loop to loop connection. If you follow those directions, your loop to loop connection will be very secure, you shouldn't have a problem. There is an incorrect method to connect loops that can cause problems, but follow the advice given above an you will be all set to go.

I do agree that nail knotting your leader directly to your line is probably the most "tidy" way to go, but particularly if you are a beginner, there is a chance you may be needing to replace your leader every so often, and it's much easier and quicker to do with the loops.

If you ever decided to try a furled leader (which I highly recommend btw), the loop to loop is definitely the way to go.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
IMHO... cut both loops off and use a 3 wrap nail knot to secure the leader to the line... a touch of ZAP or super glue the settle it and seal the tip and you're good to go. This will avoid any hinging and be much quieter on the water. The are several cheap knot tools available to make field tying simple and quick.
I'm with GRN on this, as I don't like loop-to-loop connections because they tend to hinge, hang up in guides and are hard to lay down for a delicate presentation, to say nothing about snagging up drifting moss, etc. However, I would use Pliobond instead of ZAP or other superglue because it flexes with the line and is thus less likely to cause the line to "hinge-break" at that point after a lot of use.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to 'common knowledge', if constructed correctly, loop2loop connections do not hinge.
If you think about it, there's twice as much material at the connection so hinging can only occur if the connection was constructed wrong.
Other issues people have with the loop2loop also have to do with skills.....it's all how you deal with it.

As for the Plyobond...... that's what my grandfather used.
There's modern sealants and adhesives that work as well or better.
I like the Goop products, They're pretty much all the same, but they're all very flexable and easy deal with. Just lick your fingers and form the seal
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

When it comes to picking out flies.... are you going to be this difficult...............put one loop in pull ....
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Contrary to 'common knowledge', if constructed correctly, loop2loop connections do not hinge.
If you think about it, there's twice as much material at the connection so hinging can only occur if the connection was constructed wrong.
Other issues people have with the loop2loop also have to do with skills.....it's all how you deal with it.

As for the Plyobond...... that's what my grandfather used.
There's modern sealants and adhesives that work as well or better.
I like the Goop products, They're pretty much all the same, but they're all very flexable and easy deal with. Just lick your fingers and form the seal
Thickness of material at the connection is only one factor in whether the connection will hinge. Just as important is the lack of slack in the connection. A good loop-to-loop connection is a "square knot"-type connection (not knot) and can loosen up. If it was that difficult to loosen up, then it wouldn't be used because it would be too difficult to change out leaders. And while with sufficient skill I suppose it can be presented lightly, I don't know how any "skill" makes them easier to pass through line guides or avoiding picking up vegetation, etc. Having said all that, a lot of good fly-casters swear by them. However, I just don't think that they're the best solution for quick-change leader situations, for which I prefer Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnectors which have none of those (IMHO) shortcomings.

I was interested in your use of Gorilla glue. How fast does it dry? Slow drying, and the difficulty in finding Pliobond, is its main disadvantage, and if Gorilla glue dries quickly enough, doesn't harm the line and remains flexible when dry, it sounds like a good alternative.