The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM

fredthefishhead is on a distinguished road
Default Best Reel under $100

I'm looking for a good reel to fish with a 7 weight rod. Going to be used in salt water. I would like to keep it under $100. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Reel under $100

You will probably hear this alot, but the Allen & Co. Alpha is probably going to be your best bet.

There are some who will use Pflueger Medalist, which have an awesome drag.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

you have 2 exelent choices Allen Alpha 7/8 or Allen Trout 5/7 Alpha is a midarbor and the Trout is a true large arbor, take your .
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi.
The new Loomis Reels are also OK,I used one last year & it performed good,however I saw it at Sportmans Warehouse for $100,you might get it elsewhere cheaper??
Cheers.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthefishhead View Post
I'm looking for a good reel to fish with a 7 weight rod. Going to be used in salt water. I would like to keep it under $100. Any suggestions?
For that size, I would suggest you check out the Ross Flyrise 4. It is a 6-8 weight and runs for about $110. The smaller models run for 100bucks. Either way they are a great value and use basically the same drag as used on the Ross Evolution. Lifetime warranty.

While I am hearing great things about the Allen, I havent been able to put my hands on one. Whereas you can go to many flyshops and actually hold one and check out the drag etc.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 PM

wee hooker is on a distinguished road

Pflueger Trion can be had for under $100 as well. These seem to hold up decent & have good drags. I have several friends who fish them in the salt.

Whatever you get, give it a good coat of car wax/finish before spooling it up and wash/dunk it well after each SW use.

Last edited by wee hooker; 03-05-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I will throw in a vote for the Redington Surge. Its 79 bucks and I think its well worth that price. It has a nice drag and I like the looks of it too.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road

allen... the only way to go.... i dont think you will find a reel better for even under $200...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

Absoutely, no doubt, Allen reels are the best bang for the buck. If you would have asked for one in the $200 range my answer would still be the same.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:54 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

just got an okuma vashon reel that i would place on the hi end of a medium priced reel at that price

ARFE