The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Wading Boot Help Needed (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/110416-wading-boot-help-needed.html)

creekwalker 03-03-2011 04:27 PM

Wading Boot Help Needed

I tried to post this in the Fly Fishing Gear FAQ but didn't have permission, so I thought I'd post it here instead.

I'm about to order a pair of Korkers Redside boots. My concern is the sizing. The website states that you should order your standard shoe size, and those who wear half sizes should order a size up.

My question is which size to purchase. I normally wear a size 10, but with neoprene booties and wool socks for winter fishing, I don't know if I should order a size up or not.

Does anyone here own a newer pair of Korkers boots? Specifically anyone who wears a whole size and wool socks??

gt05254 03-03-2011 05:01 PM

Re: Wading Boot Help Needed

Call 'em! There's gotta be a toll free customer service number on that website. Get it right from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
Just a thought,
Gary

randyflycaster 03-03-2011 06:50 PM

I wear a 9 1/2 so I bought a size 11. They fit fine with all my socks.

Randy

Hardyreels 03-03-2011 09:50 PM

If you live near a shop that sells them I would buy there, nothing beats trying them on with a neoprene bootie on your foot.

Ard

45fisher 03-04-2011 02:44 PM

Korkers tend to be on the small size.

I have two pairs one of their older model Wetlands and a newer Streamborn.
Now mind you I got these for wetwading. (Street shoe size.)

Regardless I normally wear a size 8.5 to 9. I order a size 8 and they are a pefect street shoe fit with a pair of 2mm neoprenes. NOT A WADER FIT!

Therefore if I were to get a WADER FIT fit I would be getting a size 9 or 10. Korkers recommends getting at least 1-2 shoes sizes larger than your street shoe. (It's written on the box)

I would go at least 2 sizes larger than your street shoe size. for me that would be a 10.

Hope this helps.

popperfly 03-04-2011 03:07 PM

I have a pair of Korker Guides and I wear a size 11 everyday shoe and my Korkers are size 13. They fit just perfect, not tight but not loose-fitting and leaves room for a extra pair of socks fishing the winter months.

Davo 03-04-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 218571)
If you live near a shop that sells them I would buy there, nothing beats trying them on with a neoprene bootie on your foot.

Ard

Have to agree with Ard. Find a shop where you can actually try a pair on and get the fit you are comfortable with. I tried the online hit or miss method last year and after shipping cost for returns I ended up paying to much for the boots I have. Never buy another pair with out actually trying them on again!!

williamhj 03-04-2011 03:39 PM

How are the Korkers? I've checked them out in stores, but am not sure how well they'd work. I'd love to get a good pair of something for wet wading (right now I just use a rubber water shoe but it doesn't grip enough).

I like the idea of changeable soles on the Korkers but am not sure how well they'd grip and stay together with use.

thanks

William

popperfly 03-04-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 218946)
How are the Korkers? I've checked them out in stores, but am not sure how well they'd work. I'd love to get a good pair of something for wet wading (right now I just use a rubber water shoe but it doesn't grip enough).

I like the idea of changeable soles on the Korkers but am not sure how well they'd grip and stay together with use.

thanks

William

I really like the fact that I can change my soles from hiking to wading in a matter of seconds. The Korker boots are very light, (especially for those long hikes) they dry fast, just a all round good wading boot. My favorite feature on the Korkers is the Low profile Boa speed lacing system for quick on/off and I wouldn't trade that feature for anything. When you get out of the water just pull-up on the speed lace knob take one step forward and you are ready to step out of your boot, that simple. Worth every penny to me.

williamhj 03-04-2011 05:37 PM

Thanks! Helps to hear from someone who uses them rather than just looking at them at the store.

wm