The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Awhh Heck

I was out on a river fishing yesterday & I had decided to try one of my old boos, a Wright & McGill. I stayed out too long after I heard Thunder in the distance & the storm came in fast, As I was hurrying to the car I dropped the tip end of the rod into the ground ahead of me & didn' give it a thought until I got back & started to take down the rod & saw that the tip was birdcaged, It is my favorite bamboo & I'll have to get it fixed. A buddy of mine builds bamboo & I'll have him take a look at it.
Anyway as I was driving home in a funk, all teed off at myself I got to wondering what other dumb moves you guys & gals have made that ruined your day. I guess I should have named this Thread. " I should have known better"

Neil
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Awhh Heck

I came in from fishing in my pond one morning and stuck the tip of my rod in a ceiling fan. Yes, it was on. If you've ever seen the movie RV, imagine the scene where Robin Williams is dumping the waste tanks. As things got bad he yells, Turn it off. That was me. Only with a fly rod caught in a ceiling fan yelling, Turn it off. To make matters worse, the tip slid along the blade right into the center and into the motor shaft. Once it got caught in there the line started getting pulled out, and wrapped around the shaft. Again, me yelling, Turn it off. Needless to say, the tip snapped off, and my line was ruined as about 4 or 5 ft got wrapped up and cut. And it wasn't a DT so I couldn't just turn it around. We laugh now but, not as this was happening.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

This happen around 1956. I was fishing for Bass using my 8'6" Heddon President Bamboo. I Got back to the car and broke down the rod and put it into its aluminum case. I then laid the case on the roof of the car. I put every thing away and backed around and took off. I forgot about the rod until I was 30 minutes away. I turned around and went back. The rod was laying on the ground and I had driven over it. Fortunately the ground was soft and sandy but the case was smashed flat. I took a tire iron and beat the aluminum case until I could with draw the rod. There was no damage at all. I fished that rod for several more years and I still have it. I never laid rods on the roof of cars after that.

Frank
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: That was a close call!

When I first got my drift boat in the spring last year I took it out to a local lake to practice rowing. The wind was blowing pretty hard but that didn't stop me. I rowed out into the lake and anchored up and decided I would try a little fishing. Later I could see that my anchor wasn't holding my position in the lake so I decided to leave the fishing line out (I was nymph fishing with an indicator) and just tie the rod to a spot on the side of the boat that had a small bungie cord for storing the rods while not fishing. As I pulled up the anchor (to row back up wind) the anchor dislodged a huge mess of weeds about three foot across. As I rowed up wind the weeds floated right into my line and in an instant broke my rod right above the handle. Needless to say I was very disappointed! Argh!

Larry
Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 PM

butchhe is on a distinguished road

Frank, you were very lucky the ground was soft! I think I would have said a silent prayer after retrieving the rod.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

last summer i was fishing for bass with poppers and i had a 16-17 inch largie on the line. as i got the fish up near the dock, i set my rod down and was holding it up close to the tip. while i was holding it there, the bass took a desperation dive to the lake bottom and my rod snapped where i was holding it!

i still have the pieces and im making it into an ice fishing pole to use this winter
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

when i was 15 to 16 years old i watched my step father move a bull away from a fence ladder by touching the tip of his fly rod to the bull the laying the rod on the electric fence. And in a pissed off hurry the bull took off, a year or so later i tried and didnt think about it as i was yacking away with a friend and did this trick with my hand on the unfinished rod not the handle, this time i was the one running pissed off and startled, noticing later that my rod was broken in about 3 pieces because i jammed it forward twards the bull and the yancked as i was being shocked.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see... ceiling fan... did that with an unfished Sage RPLXi 9 weight a few years ago.

On that same trip, I was targeting some baby tarpon. I looked behind me and realized that I had about 35 to 40 feet of backcasting room. As the panguero made panga angle corrections, the panga drifted closer to the mangrove behind me. I let out a backcast. As I was working my forward cast, my fly got snagged in the mangrove and my 7 weight broke at the tip section ferrule. Luckily I had a backup rod on board the panga.

MP
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

On my birthday this year I was hiking to a good fishing spot when my cell starts ringing ( why I brought it with is beyond me). I reached for it and as I do my rod tip get buried straight into the ground and snap goes the tip! That was on the second hole of the day. Needless to say I was in a bad mood on my B day.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In 1977 I broke down a Fenwick 8' 6wt glass rod at dark after fishing the Loyalsock in Sullivan County Pennsylvania. I was with another fellow and I placed the rod on the roof of his El Camino which had a cap over the bed. I had removed the reel but never put the rod in its tube. We left and drove home, about 55 miles.

Yes I went back. Yes I found the rod. No, this one was not sent back for repairs, it was way beyond that. I bought another the next day, 66 bucks, I really liked those old Fenglass rods.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;