The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough
Default End Antism now! or Junk patterns?

For those of you who may not be familiar with the semi-seasonless weather we have here in northern Colorado we call this time, not winter. But that is a subject for another post. For now I would like to take a moment and give a shout-out to my newest and best-est fly friend the ant. I have heard that some people have quite a lot of success fishing terrestrials in the mid months of not winter, here in the Land of the Mighty Upper. I am no exception.

An incredibly simple pattern to tie the foam ant has been most productive for me the past few weeks. My fishing partners have begun calling me Ant Boy. One particularly adept angler and fly dresser has pointed out , time and time again I might add, that anyone can tie and almost anyone can fish an ant pattern successfully. My reply to this is a big fat, and?.

This year I have caught several trout over 20” on an ant pattern. I have netted two that were over 24” it has been the most productive pattern in my box. So why should I feel shame for using it? Why is it we Is it we classify some patterns as “junk”? And why should terrestrials fall into that category?

Junk forever and end Antism now!

Thanks,

Tim aka the ant boy....I need to get a cool costume and a logo

BTW the fishing here in the Land of the Mighty Upper is terrible. So please stay in Denver and fish the front range.

Thanking you in advance,

TM
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End Antism now! or Junk patterns?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

LMAO
Thanks Rip
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Riptide, you made me hoot out loud. Good one. Now we just have to find him a tailor. And a giant freakin trained flying ant.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

We have a flying carpenter ant, an inch or so long. It's the first large terrestrial to offer it's self every spring. I spend many hours every winter tying a two step ant on black Rainy foam and a caramel colored hair wing. Floats well, but I prefer fishing it just a little sunken. Roughly three times the takes, I even tie a very weighted pattern for the reluctant risers. Long live the ANT!!!!

Bigfly
Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I've had good luck with various ant patterns. Trout, bass, and bluegills eat 'em...............when I present them properly.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I saw a pattern somewhere for ants using black acetate floss. The head cement would supposedly melt the floss and make really cool hard, shiney ant bodies. Didn't work for me. And that floss is the PITS to work with!!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 AM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road

Ants rule!!! I don't care what people think of a particular fly. They can throw what they want, and I'll throw what I know will catch fish. I probably have 4 or 5 different patterns of ant in my box and they work every time. The banks where I fish are just crawling with large carpenter ants so it's a no brainer.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
I saw a pattern somewhere for ants using black acetate floss. The head cement would supposedly melt the floss and make really cool hard, shiney ant bodies. Didn't work for me. And that floss is the PITS to work with!!
A really good pattern for making a realistic hard shiny ant is the Transper-Ant. Make two balls of thread on the hook shank. I usually make one brown and one black. Make sure there is a small space between them. Coat them with 5 min. epoxy making sure you don't get epoxy all the way across the gap or you end up with a two tone cylinder. After it is dry a couple of turns of black hackle in between the two balls of thread. Trim it to look like legs and a little head cement, Viola! Shiny hard realistic ant.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
A really good pattern for making a realistic hard shiny ant is the Transper-Ant. Make two balls of thread on the hook shank. I usually make one brown and one black. Make sure there is a small space between them. Coat them with 5 min. epoxy making sure you don't get epoxy all the way across the gap or you end up with a two tone cylinder. After it is dry a couple of turns of black hackle in between the two balls of thread. Trim it to look like legs and a little head cement, Viola! Shiny hard realistic ant.
If you get some of the white fast drying gorilla glue you can make a nice shiny ant body out of it. Put the hook you want in a clip, or hemostats or anything to hold it so you can turn it. If you use your vise you may gunk up the jaws. Put a few drops of water on a piece of aluminum foil & a few drops of glue next to it. Mix them together with a bobkin & when the glue turns white put a SMALL drop on the hook for the abdomen & smaller ones for the thorax & head. The glue almost doubles in size so thats why you only need a tiny drop. Turn the fly a few times to even out the balls & let dry. Then get a black ( or any color you like) marker & color the fly. Tie on a sparse hackle for legs & you're good to go. It floats just in the film & with a wet fly cast you can get it under the surface. I make them in a few different colors & I'll put wings on some of them too.
Ck out this video

Last edited by FISHN50; 08-25-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add link