The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 12:47 AM

jt_bassman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie needin help

Hello all.. Im 20 years old live in Burnsville, N.C. I Gave up bass fishing for the summer and decided to try fly fishing and now I'm completely addicted. lol
But im completely overwhelmed as far as flies go and need a little help. Ive got my rod and reel loaded with good line and plenty of leader and tippet, but ive only got two flies. Ones a bead head nymph that looks to be about ten years old and ones a small walmart brand royal coachmen.

I will be fishing mostly small headwaters for specks and Catch and release water around Yancey, Mitchell, and Avery county for Browns and Rainbows(native). If Yall could hook me up with the essential dry flies and necessary nymphs (I'll be mostly dry-fishing) I would GREATLY appreciate it. Also wondering if theres anybody local to the area that might have some more detailed tips about fly patterns, colors, etc.

Ill be looking to buy everything online. Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie needin help

If there is a local specialty outfitter, hit it up, get some advice, and buy the recommended flies. First hand knowledge from the outfitters who fish there regularly will trump any advice that most of us can give you. That outfitter will be able to tell you what fish are feeding on, when fish are feeding, and the best ways to present the recommended flies to feeding fish. Also it's good to keep the money in the local economy.

In regards to fly selection, keep it simple for basics. These flies will catch fish anywhere in the United States. An outfitter can tell you more specifics. Break it up into four categories: mayfly, caddis, stonefly, wildcard.

Mayfly:
Nymph - Pheasant Tail (14-18), Hare's Ear (14-18)
Adult - Adams (12-18), PMD (16-20), BWO (16-20)

Caddis:
Larval Nymph - Green Rock worm (12)
Pupal Nymph - Bird's Nest (tan 12-16)
Adult - Elk Hair Caddis (tan, olive, brown 14-18)

Stonefly:
Nymph - Rubberlegs (brown, black 8)
Adult - Stimulator (orange 10, golden 12-14 , black 16)

Wildcard:
Ants - (black, cinnamon 12-16)
Dave's Hopper - (10)
San Juan Worm - (brown, red 12)
Copper John - (various colors 12-16)
Griffith's Gnats - (18)

I'm sure that there are other basics that could be recommended to you, but I highly suggest trying the local outfitters for the best results.

MP
Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 AM

Thanks Mosca.. I feel alot more confident now.
Theres about 100000 stores online with trout flies. im a little overwhelmed with that too, how bout hooking me up with a site with good quality flies with quality hooks, etc.

Also need a good floatant.. what do yall recommend? Im usually fishing swift creeks that tend to pull my line and fly underwater before im in the strike zone long enough. I guess Im in need of a real strong floatant

One more question and I hate to just get on here as a Newbie with twenty questions. As I will be mostly learning the art of dry fly fishing... I won't focus on Nymphs, etc. much. But if I have a day where nothing is hatching and no trout are rising... whats a good all-around sub-surface fly to use for native trout in small creeks and rivers? something like a Scub pattern or wooly buger maybe?

Still looking for a local outfitter... not having much luck with that so a good site where I can get this stuff would be great

Thanks again guys and any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the site...As Mosca said spend your money for flies and the other items you need locally. The shops in your area will have the best information on current conditions and hatches. Do a search online for NC flyfishing and see what comes up; check out FlyFishNC.com and see if that helps.

Tight Lines,

Dan
Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey JT welcome to the board. Sounds like you're really into it- good for you!

Mosca and Dan gave you great advice- if you can find a local shop you'd be much better off as far as fly recommendations for the water you plan to fish. In addition to all around good flies to have, like Elk Hair Caddis etc and the great suggestions e put together for you, there will be some variation in recommended patterns based on time of year and water type- wild trout in fast mountain streams vs tailwaters vs delayed harvest (stocked trout). And it pays to get locally tied flies to match specific hatches since the sizes, colors and "style" of tying them will have been proven on the waters you fish.

If you’re anywhere near Asheville, you might give these guys a shout, though I'm sure there are some others near you.
http://www.hunterbanks.com/

There are general "hatch charts" for many waters throughout the US that you can find online- though not a substitute for local advice from a shop, they can help give you an idea of what to expect. Here's one for NC
http://www.flyfishingnc.com/fly-bugs...moky-mountains

As you can see from the hatches by month, some good stuff to have would for Aug to September would be stuff to match the Isonychia and Light Cahill hatches and some terrestrials like ants and beetles if you wanted to add a few specific dries to general high floating attractor and general purpose patterns that would be good for fast mountain streams. Mosca gave you a great list to pick from for a general assortment. If you wanted to prioritize a bit based on what's left in the season but the good thing about mountain streams is that fish tend not to be too picky and don't have a lot of time to look things over- generally you can get away with a lot and not have to worry too much about exact matches to naturals.

But just as an example, a local shop might suggest something like:
Dun Variant size 12 (or another a specific Isonychia imitation which will also occur in late spring throughout the east) in place of a Adams size 12 for a bit closer match in general coloration
Cahill or Sulphur Sparkle Dun size 16 and 18 for Light Cahills and other light bodied mayflies that will occur in late spring through summer in the east) in place of a similar sized and light color hackled version of a PMD.
Foam Ants and foam beetles
might be good to add to a general list of high floating flies good for fast water like:
Elk Hair Caddis 14 and 16
Royal or Ausable Wulff size 14 and 16

A local shop can also steer you towards some good nymphs for fast water streams. They might be Bead Head Prince size 12 (also a pretty good Isonychia nymph imitation) Green Rockworm (good caddis larva imitation for riffles) Golden Stone Nymph size 6 or 8, also good for riffles as some typical stuff you'd find in mountain streams.

Black and olive bead head woolly buggers size 8 or 10 would be a good all purpose streamer/nymph to throw that looks like a lot of things, are good for a lot of different water types and are hard to fish wrong. A good fly for bass too.

Scuds are typically found in slow moving spring creeks and tail waters and would be a better choice if you fished water like that in addition to mountain streams.

You'll also notice that small stuff like Blue WIng Olives and Midges will start hatching in Oct- and will be popping through the rest of the fall and early winter. This would be covered by stuff like small Adams, Blue Wing Olives and Griffiths Gnats, and pheasant tail nymphs that Mosca suggested as well as whatever your local guys recommend. There may also be some great delayed harvest type fishing near you with stocked trout where flies patterns may be a bit different - stuff like Zebra midges and egg patterns- but a local shop can get you squared a way. They are a gold mine of advice, so you really should track some down, and are always worth a stop if you come across them.

As far as floatant, you might want to look for a paste type floatant like Gink or DAB to start. Just dip your index finger in and rub it with your thumb to melt it and then work it into the hackle. Heavily hackled flies (EHC, Wulff, Stimulators, foam stuff) tend to be better floating flies in fast water. A key though is mending your fly line to get a good drift- otherwise the current will drag the belly of your fly line and pull the fly under. Here's a good article about it: http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...n_mending.aspx

Finally you might also try looking for a local chapter of Trout Unlimited or a club affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers. These groups can really jump start your fly fishing career and have casting clinics, group trips to local waters, informative meetings, beginning tying classes etc. You can do a search here:

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4357

and here

http://www.tu.org/site/c.kkLRJ7MSKtH...ter_Search.htm
Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_bassman1 View Post
Thanks Mosca.. I feel alot more confident now.
Theres about 100000 stores online with trout flies. im a little overwhelmed with that too, how bout hooking me up with a site with good quality flies with quality hooks, etc.
Davidson River Outfitters is in Pisgah Forest, NC. It has a website.

Quote:
Also need a good floatant.. what do yall recommend? Im usually fishing swift creeks that tend to pull my line and fly underwater before im in the strike zone long enough. I guess Im in need of a real strong floatant.
I use Gink, but your issue is line control. You need to learn how to mend your line. I'm sure that there is a YouTube video on it. Or get someone to teach you.

Quote:
One more question and I hate to just get on here as a Newbie with twenty questions. As I will be mostly learning the art of dry fly fishing... I won't focus on Nymphs, etc. much. But if I have a day where nothing is hatching and no trout are rising... whats a good all-around sub-surface fly to use for native trout in small creeks and rivers? something like a Scub pattern or wooly buger maybe?
Lift up a few rocks from the stream and see what are underneath them. Whatever in your box that matches that bug is what you want to toss. When in doubt, throw a bugger.

Quote:
Still looking for a local outfitter... not having much luck with that so a good site where I can get this stuff would be great.
Click here for a list of shops.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-28-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 AM

Thanks alot guys.. im almost completely outfitted now. I took a trip out to Hunter Banks and got some good stuff. Ill try to get some pics up asap.. im still exploring around here theres some beautiful water and what seems like a lifetime of learning. Doing real well on a female adams right now in the wild creeks. The water's full and the fish are purdy.
Once again I really appreciate the help. I look forward to getting to know you guys and learn.