The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 01:01 AM

PAwilds is on a distinguished road
Default what's a good vintage rod

I'd like to buy a vintage fiberglass fly rod. I'm also cheap, so I don't want to pay over $50 for one. I see there are a lot of choices out there and wanted to know if any brand or models stand out. It will be used for small Pennsylvania mountain streams when I get back from Iraq. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what's a good vintage rod

If I may ask, what unit are you with? My son is with the 82nd AB. He is planning on returning for his second tour in the next 7 months..
Old 05-06-2006, 01:18 PM

PAwilds is on a distinguished road

I am a medic with A CO 3 103 AR attached to the 101st in Ramadi.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Great unit! God speed to you. I am sure we can find you something in the way of a rod. Steve (the full creel) might know where to find you a kickin rod..
Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 AM

TNFishnStix is on a distinguished road

CURAHEE!!

Thank you for serving our country and for what you represent. Screamin' Eagles for ever!!

You may want to visit the Fiberglass forum on EZBOARD. There are always good deals on there for fiberglass and vintage glass rods. Take a good look at the Fenwick Feralite rods, they are great to fish with and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Phillipson made some good fiberglass rods as well, and some of the post WWII Wright McGills are great as well. These rods all represent a part of the heritage of fly fishing and hold fond memories in lots of minds and hearts of fly fishermen everwhere.

http://p097.ezboard.com/bfiberglassflyrodders

(as a matter of fact, there are a couple of rodbuilders in your state that also hold the hertiage of fiberglass flyrods highly. Mike McFarland, IMHO, makes someof the best fiberglass rods I have seen. I have 2 of his Spruce Creek models and love them dearly) I do have one old Phillipson here that is a 5 wt. 7 or 7 1/2 footer, that is a great old rod, and I never fish it. I will try to find it this week.....it's yours!! has your name written all over it. Just let me know where to send it! Thanks again for putting it all on the line in the name of freedom and for what you give our country!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I have a great Cortland glass rod that is almost in mint condition I would be willing to part with. Eight foot for 5/6 line. If your interested, make me an offer.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
I have a great Cortland glass rod that is almost in mint condition I would be willing to part with. Eight foot for 5/6 line. If your interested, make me an offer.
You call that vintage?
Don't forget Steffan Bros if you want to spend more scratch. Steffan or McFarland you can't go wrong. Lot's lighter then the old 'glass.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Absolutely. The old Cortland glass is sweet.

And if you can score this guy a steffen for the $50 he says he is willing to spend, sign me up for about fifty of them.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

And if you can score this guy a steffen for the $50 he says he is willing to spend, sign me up for about fifty of them.

Make that diddo for me
Old 05-11-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Don't forget Steffan Bros if you want to spend more scratch.
He never said he could get them for $50. Reading comprehension is your friend.