The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road
Default furled or twisted leaders... why???

looking for some options...... whats the plus and minus of using each style?

i would be using them for muskie, pike, and saltwater.....
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: furled or twisted leaders... why???

I'm surprised that nobody has replied here, yet....

Before I type a bunch-- here is a link to the site's search function- keywords: furled, leaders.

The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Search Results

There should be plenty of info in there.

FWIW-- I use furled simply because I don't like tying knots.... and too cheap to buy a tapered leader. (so, we've established that I am lazy and cheap.... )

Furled turn over like a dream, they last forever, and (For me) are the simplest system. A little time investment on the front end (making it) and you don't have to mess with it for the whole year (really- 2 or 3 yrs.) Just a little tippet section is all you will change with any regularity.

my .02
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Twisted mono leaders have been my staple for the past 6 or 7 years now. Simple to make, turn over like a dream and have just enough stretch to protect fragile tippets when I strike too hard. Here is a tutorial I put together several years ago:

" title="Twisted Leaders slideshow by kglissmeyer - Photobucket" target="_blank">Twisted Leaders slideshow by kglissmeyer - Photobucket
bw
Good luck,

Kelly.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I've had a lot of success with this method. The presentation seems gentler than with a tapered leader.

FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I just started twisting my own leaders, and so far love the results. They turn over flies easily and they are cheap! Twisting them up can be a pain when you are working with finer lines in longer lengths, but it's worth it to save $4 every time you whip one up.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

PM Joni, she can give you a lot of information on furled leaders.

http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/

Pocono
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
Twisting them up can be a pain when you are working with finer lines in longer lengths,
Try it with 6 cats in the house!

I've found it's easier to keep the ends from tangling if I twist them while walking on the lawn with the ends trailing on either side of me on the grass. It seems to let the loose ends un-twist better. If they get tangled it usually means starting over for me.
I like the performance of the twisted leaders very well. I frequently step the tippet section down a few thousandths in size, too. Just made one from 8# mono last night for my 3wt. I had 4' of 4 strands, 2' of 2 strands, 1' of 8# (.010) tippet, and 18" of 5X (.007) tippet.
Worked fine with #16 nymphs today.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Try it with 6 cats in the house!

I've found it's easier to keep the ends from tangling if I twist them while walking on the lawn with the ends trailing on either side of me on the grass. It seems to let the loose ends un-twist better. If they get tangled it usually means starting over for me.
I like the performance of the twisted leaders very well. I frequently step the tippet section down a few thousandths in size, too. Just made one from 8# mono last night for my 3wt. I had 4' of 4 strands, 2' of 2 strands, 1' of 8# (.010) tippet, and 18" of 5X (.007) tippet.
Worked fine with #16 nymphs today.
I have two cats and they get quite the kick out of chasing bits of mono around the house. I'll try walking around to see if that helps.

I got some 4lb mono for twisted trout leaders and they work really well for nymphing (just a general 3-4' of 4x butt, 2-3' of 2x mid-section, and then tippet tied to the end loop with an albright knot in the appropriate size for the fly). I found that the butt was not quite stiff enough to turn over a fly in any sort of wind, so I might try a stiffer leader (with the 4x8lb butt section), and see if I get better turn over. The lighter ones work great in keeping drag off the leader when nymphing though, and turn over wasn't much of an issue when using splitshot or weighted flies.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

When making twisted leaders I find it helpful to put the two tag-ends through the handles of hot chocolate mugs while running the ends over opposite sides of the kitchen island, table or some such. Helps with the tangling of the tag ends.

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
looking for some options...... whats the plus and minus of using each style?

i would be using them for muskie, pike, and saltwater.....

I have made both but admittedly haven't made many furled leaders compartively speaking. (hundreds to a few) For use in the salt and big freshwater I decided on traditional tapered leaders but here some research on pros and cons:

Mostly Pros

The Furled are as near can be Memory Free while you do need to stretch a traditional leader to remove coils.

Positive turnover helps increased accuracy but not enough to compenstate for a really bad caster!

Some say the Furled reduces micro-drag but I found that waves, for instance, pushes it around more than a traditional leader.

The furled has a natural elasticity that protects light tippets. Conversely the spring in the leader is your enemy with hard mouthed or hard gripping fish!

Some say that the leader control with furled gives a gentle presentation that eliminates leader slap but a properly designed tapered leader does pretty near the same thing in my experience. I'd give the edge to the furled though.

Both leaders are compatible with a wide variety of tippet sizes with just a modicum of knot know how.

Furled leaders are user friendly, not prone to wind knots.

The Higher visibility assists the angler in the tracking
small flies in adverse light conditions using similar colors for both.

The furled has good retention of paste floatants and these are needed as the leader will pick up a bit of surface scum quickly then sink.

Far less spray than hollow braided leaders, but more than monofilament leaders
A big factor in crystal clear water and spooky fish.

Furled are inexpensive, if you make your own or buy them considering that they last a long time. Same goes for traditional tapered leaders. Both require equal attention to tippets.

Disadvantages

With furled a positive turnover increases difficulty with curve and 'trick' casts

Furled thread leaders can mildew if put away wet in a warm dark place

Furled will collect dirt if used in scum covered waters and will not float until cleaned

Knots and hooks are a bit difficult to remove when tangled in a furled leader

Same goes for brush. Keep you back cast up as the leaders are very difficult to remove from the brush

Another disadvantage of furled are that they are a little more wind resistant which can effect turn over(especially on a windy day), when casting into a stiff wind bigger flies.

Furled can also be more visible to a fish in clear water while casting in the air and on the water due to the multiple surfaces and how light reflects.

In general they unroll like a charm! One fellow indicated that, " he used it in FFF Certifed Casting Instructors Exam where no tailing loops are allowed. They will make you throw a better cast for sure and look like a pro!"

Hope that all helps--as for me I'm using traditional about 90% of the time due to the simplicity of a system that I've practiced and used for a long, long time!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/