The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 03:09 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Tube Flies

I have been seeing and hearing more about tube flies. I just recently browsed through the Summer 2009 issue of Fly Tyer and there was an article about tube dry flies. I know they have mostly been used for salmon & steelhead, but was wondering if anyone uses them for trout or warm water fishing. I like the looks of some of the ones I've seen and they definitely look like they would cut down on misses from short strikes. Any thoughts or experiences with tube flies?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tube Flies

I recently started experimenting with tube flies myself. The first ones I made were Reynold's Pike Flies I tied on small brass tube I got from the hardware store. Then I tied some for Smallmouth that I tied on the empty portion of the ink tube in ball point pens. That is going to be a vey limited supply if you go that way. If you use Bic type pens you can put the ink part back and the pen will still work. As I said this is a very limited supply, but it would be enough to help you decide if you like tubes or not. I have been trying to find a source of tube that is the same diameter and thickness as those tubes because they are perfect. I read the same article in fly tyer, but the bar drink straw they talked about seems pretty flimsy to me. I think one good fish could wreck a fly. The brass tube from the hardware store sink like a brick which is good if you want to fish deep. One of the nice things I found about fishing tube flies is I tied a perfection loop in the end of the tippet and loop to loop with the hook. It's easy to change flies. No retying, no clipping tag ends or shortening the tippet. I took a fairly stout piece of wire (for making Musky spinners) and bent a 1/8" bend in the end. I super glued the soft plastic tube onto the tube for the fly and then put the wire through the tube and put it in the vise. If you pull back hard enough to deform the soft plastic tube (that will hold the hook eye) against the vice, it won't turn while you tie the fly. I have seen some videos on you tube that show how to tie tube flies with products from companies like Eumer. I'm pretty sure tubes will be getting a bigger space in my fly selection. By the way, Fly Tyer is a great magazine isn't it?
Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine used tube flies to fish for perch and trout...I tied some too they're less easy to tie than ordinary streamers and clousers...but you can use double or treble hooks which isn't good for C&R but in that time we often kept fish,times have changed so have I...So I gave it up...
Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
was wondering if anyone uses them for trout or warm water fishing. I like the looks of some of the ones I've seen and they definitely look like they would cut down on misses from short strikes. Any thoughts or experiences with tube flies?
I started tying them over the winter and have used them for trout, smallies, and bluegill. I've tied wooly buggers, poppers, and streamers on tubes. I would use them for other fish, but those are the primary fish in my area. I like how bass and gills are lip hooked with tube flies instead of inhaling or swallowing non-tube flies - it really bothers me when fish swallow flies. I want to be able to release fish with the least amount of harm possible. In fact, I had completely stopped fishing for bluegill before I started using tubes b/c they attack flies so aggressively and end up swallowing them. I still prefer fishing for smallies, but since I've been tying tube flies, I will occasionally use a bluegill sized fly.

I also like how my tube flies don't get chewed up so fast. The tube flies I started with last spring are still in usable form. Previously, flies only lasted one or two outings b/c either fish swallowed them or they were ripped apart by fish.

I don't use tube flies for trout as often as for bass b/c I like to use dries, soft hackles, and midges when trout fishing. I don't know of any available tubes that are small enough for size 16 or smaller flies.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I know of people using topwater tube crease flies off the coast of Loreto, Mexico, for some Dorado and Skipjack Tuna. In the California Delta, some anglers are using topwater crease tube flies for Largemouth Bass and Striped Bass.

MP
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi

Here is a link that will show you some of the stuff you need for tubes and the cost. There are other places to buy tube materials and I am not recommending Kaufmann over anyone else. Here is an article that will take a lot of the mystery out of tying tube flies.

Frank
Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Here is another link with additional links to some patterns.

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter...ic-concept.php