The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Fluorocarbon tippet

Can you tie a fluorocarbon tippet material on to a mono leader?

You've been fishing a caddis, but decide nymphing is the way to go. You have a 9 to 10 ft. 5x leader. Can you cut off the tippet or a little more and rebuild your learder with fluorocarbon for better sinking toward the tip? Or is the knot more likely to slip?
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 08-30-2009, 09:56 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fluorocarbon tippet

That's exactly what I do. I get tapered leaders, cut off the tippet, then tie on fluorocarbon tippet. I have yet to have it come untied. I've used both surgeons knots and loop to loop connections.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi alligator,

I think Fluor is over rated and I pretty much use mono. Mono is limper and cost a lot less than Fluor. In most river fishing situations the water is not that deep and a weighted fly probably will sink about as fast no mater what leader material you use. Fluor also does not hold knots quite as well as mono. If you are fishing subsurface then I don't think the tippet material is going to make that much difference.

If you feel Fluor is working best for you then use it. I always cut off the tippet on a leader and leave about 6 inches of the tippet. Then tie a loop in that short section of tippet. Now you can loop connect Mono or Fluor as the fishing conditions warrant. I especially like this arrangement on subsurface fishing as the loop knot can hold split shot and not slide down the tippet.

Frank

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Frank, As always, thanks for the excellent information.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley