The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Unhappy Sad news...Georges Odier on life support...

I learned much from this man...

FROM THE FLYTYING FORUM – 8.29.09

First Dave Lewis and then Bill Tapply, this is a sad month for long rodders. Now this.

Georges Odier, an entomologist and author who quietly changed fly fishing in a fundamental and profound manner with the 1984 publication of his book Swimming Flies (Stone Wall Publishing, ISBN 0-91327-648-0), is at the end of his life. Odier was one of the first to understand that adult caddis re-enter the water and swim to the bottom to deposit eggs directly in desirable habitat. He determined that eggs released at the surface would drift for hundreds of yards before reaching the bottom and thus was an unlikely action for a species as successfully established as the caddis. His research into the life cycle of this important insect has had a significant effect on our sport.

I received this communication from Virginia Newton, a friend of Mr. Odier:

I am writing because we just heard the news that Georges is on life support at a hospital in Salt Lake and is not expected to live much longer – the hospital is awaiting to hear formally from his family in France to turn off life support. He had a stroke after returning from one his daily walks in Moab. We Googled his name and read your wonderful piece in Fly Fish Ohio about Georges’ work on mastering the nymph fly fishing method. My husband had many fishing adventures with Georges and they were such good friends, but had seen him less since he moved to Utah. I figure you would appreciate knowing this news, sad as it is. We are in the process of helping contact his family in France to make arrangements. If you knew George I know my husband would like to hear from you.

Joe C.

Sad news…

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad news...Georges Odier on life support...

I have Georges book Swimming Flies, it's well worth reading.

On another note, I hadn't realized Bill Tapply had passed
He was an excellent writer and will be missed.
His webpage mentions a memorial get together a week from Sunday in NH
Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Thank you for the post. You know, many people out there touch our lives as fly fishers and they make a difference for so many of us even though we have never met them. Losing these people is like losing a member of an extended family, it leaves one with a sense of loss despite the facts it was their work we knew.
My condolences to his family and friends, my thanks to Georges Odier who took the time to share his knowledge and to make a fishing trip even more memorable and successful for those who read his work. "You carry on in the actions of so many of us."
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have posted some photos of Georges on my site. He greatly influenced my deep devotion to what I believe is a spiritual pursuit. He was one of those rare human beings who took the time to pass on his wisdom...he was the" real deal"... a practitioner of humble demonstration.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thank you for sharing this information. I have a deep and most humble regard for the people who have made the study of the aquatic world a life's work. Whenever I think I have a wealth of knowledge I am reminded of where I obtained it. All of my own study of the natural world has been precipitated and nurtured by the writing of people like Georges. This is a better life thanks to his and many others contributions.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;