The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough
Default advice on loops...?

So last week I spent a fair amount of time casting rods with a guy at a fly shop here in chicago trying to find a rod that was of good quality, fit my cast, and was going to be something that I was proud to own. Cast 5ish different rods in different lengths and finally decided on a Sage Flight 590-4. While we where casting, I was talking to the guy and he was telling me that he guides out in colorado over the summers and asked if he could give his opinions on my cast and what fit me best of the rods that we where casting, I said sure. One of the things he said was that I have a very tight loop on my cast, so tight that it is almost non-existent on the faster rods. I'm not sure how to take that and if it is something that I should try to eliminate or if it is an asset...?

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: advice on loops...?

I would take it as a compliment. As far as i know, in my rather limited experience in the art, if you have a super tight loop it means that you have technically perfect cast form. The looser or more open the loop, the more you are moving your wrist. One of our more experienced members will come along and offer a better explanation i am sure.

So, i am still striving to achieve what you have learned to a very high degree. Grats.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Vans said.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was developing too much line speed or casting too hard as I never took lessons since youtube is free

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ssmith, finding the rod that fits your loop is key.
The funny thing is.. we work so hard for the tight loop when throwing the dry.
Then have to dial it back to a bigger open loop when fishing with an indy.
The rod can't do it all.....
A by-the-by.
An ultimate tight cast can have a wedge/chisel shape rather than rounded loop.
It cuts wind better, and goes like a dart right where you point it.
Takes most of us a bit of practice and precision though to acheive.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.