Backing to fly line connection

Reaction score
I usually use a nail knot to attach the fly line to the leader, but because I may be switching a sinking tip for a floating line this summer I decided to use a loop to loop connection. My question is this......I typically see very small loops drawn in the knot tying books, but is it OK to make a large loop on the backing (with a Bimini twist)? That way I can tuck the reel or spool thru the loop rather than run the entire fly line.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use a Bimini for my backing knot with a fairly large loop. 8 inches maybe.
Biminis are nice and straight and I've never gotten hung up because of it.
The plan was to be able to change lines on the fly, just as you're thinking.
I've maybe done it twice :rolleyes:

raindogt

Reaction score
Fred, sure you can do that as rip said. But, if you want versatility with your lines, why not just pick up a spare spool for your reel? Short of the spool price-- it seems easier and less 'cumbersome' to me. Where in your pack are you carrying around 100 feet of fly line- without tangles and ready to be spooled?

If time is money, the exchange rate has gone thru the roof when you are on the water with trout rising everywhere and you are spooling 100 feet of line onto a reel.... (I personally think it takes too much time to line the rod, none less fill a reel and then still have to put thru the guides....)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
...... I don't even like changing spools. It's easier to just change reels and a reel doesn't really take up much more space than a spare spool in your vest

I still use the Bimini for my backing knot though. No reason not to.

Tracker12

Reaction score
I have to agree with the spool or reel idea. I have enough trouble changing out the line at home let alone in the field. Unless you get a good deal on a used spool I can almost buy a new reel for the price they are asking for extra spools these days.

gt05254

Reaction score
Put me on board the spare spool school of thought. I might start out with a floater, but I'll likely have two different sink tips in the pockets on the back of my vest which appear to be made just for this task (Orvis superduper tacklepak or whatever its called).
The thought of fooling with unspooling one line and spooling another makes my head hurt.
Gary.

ant

Reaction score
Another vote for the extra spool/reel. I generally take 30 minutes untangling the line when spooling in my dining room, let alone stream side with a wind blowing it all over the place.

I have keep a spool of floating and a spool of sink tip for my most used reels; just flip a switch and click and your done.