The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default A warning

Just wanted to give a warning for those of you that fish on the Truckee River on the CA, NV border. My guide buddy went fishing last night and had all of his gear in the truck( multiple expensive rods and reels, fly boxes, the whole works) as well as his phone and wallet. He went downstream of Floriston to make a few casts and when he went back up to his truck it was gone! Someone stole everything he had!!! Not sure if this is an isolated incident but if you plan on fishing the canyon, I know a couple on here do, be careful and make sure your stuff is secured and locked.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: A warning

Hi packfancjh,

Thanks for the heads up. It is unfortunate but this is happening more and more in a lot of fishing and hunting destinations. My fishing partner had a 5 kw generator stolen out of the back of his pickup. It was chained and bolted to the truck bed. The first day nothing happen. They went back fishing the second day and it was taken then. The Sheriff says it was local people who watch for fishermen or hunters and they size you up the first day. They return the second day with the needed tools and take what they want. The Sheriff said that some just cruise the spots that people park and carry tools with them. It just takes a matter of minutes and they are on there way.

Frank
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A sad story,

I have been carrying only the rod I intend to use for years. In the past magazines like Fly Fishermen gave advice not to cover your car or trucks with stickers indicating fly fishing manufactures. The theory was that having a Winston Rods, Orvis, or even a FFF sticker would clue a thief to take a closer look at your vehicle.

I would be upset if someone took my empty rod tube and my street shoes from the bed of my truck but that is all I leave behind.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I don't fish much near Floristan, but I do fish the river a lot and I own a jeep, so I have gotten in the habit, of also only taking what I am fishing with. I might lose an empty rod case and my street shoes, but that is all I leave behind.

Just to add to the info, my boys and I went camping and fishing at Lake Davis a couple weeks ago and the guide stated (as well as fliers on the boards) that someone has been stealing fishing gear left behind at the campsites.

Makes you sick to think someone is low enough to ruin a well deserved vacation and quality family time.

Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming too and long for the days when I grew up and you could leave your front door unlocked, let the kids play outside, or walk away from your car and leave the keys in it. Seems like morality has hit a new low, but it keeps getting worse. I hope someday soon people wake up before it is too late - if it is not too late already.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:28 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I must say kudos to the Reno PD! They caught these filthy rats in less than 24 hours! A buddy had seen the stolen truck joy riding like it was a baja truck up in the mountains and recognized one of the thieves in it from school. He thought our friend might have sold it but found out later that night that it was stolen. They went back up to the spot they were joyriding and found his truck at the bottom of a 200 yd canyon smashed into a tree and beat to ****. The cops went to the guys house and caught him while also getting him to rat on the others. He ended up getting most of his gear back but not the truck which worked cause he didn't want the payment anymore. karma can be a real good thing sometimes I guess.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
I don't fish much near Floristan, but I do fish the river a lot and I own a jeep, so I have gotten in the habit, of also only taking what I am fishing with. I might lose an empty rod case and my street shoes, but that is all I leave behind.

Just to add to the info, my boys and I went camping and fishing at Lake Davis a couple weeks ago and the guide stated (as well as fliers on the boards) that someone has been stealing fishing gear left behind at the campsites.

Makes you sick to think someone is low enough to ruin a well deserved vacation and quality family time.

Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming too and long for the days when I grew up and you could leave your front door unlocked, let the kids play outside, or walk away from your car and leave the keys in it. Seems like morality has hit a new low, but it keeps getting worse. I hope someday soon people wake up before it is too late - if it is not too late already.
webrx: Amen to that!

Larry
Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Glad they caught them and he got his stuff back GO Karma.

d
Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

webrx....
Has the Cocapod infestation at Lake Davis subsided? We were up there in June and a large percentage of the trout were covered with blisters.
We were warned about generators being stolen from campsites in Grizley Campground at Lake Davis but we had no problems.
FlyDog
Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear that the thieves were caught. I don't think there is anything that I hate more. Every year we have a "Trail Days" festival in Damascus, VA for all of the hikers that hike the AT. It never fails that packs, tents, etc. get stolen and if you are a thru hiker that is all you own. It is the same deal as you mentioned, the thieves watch and wait for the hikers to walk away and enjoy the festival then they load up.
Tuck
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

It's a shame that the scumbags have to ruin everything for the honest people of this world. It would be nice if we as a society could come up with a punishment that would teach them a lesson; or at least think twice about more criminal activity.

Dan