The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Reds in a Lake!

Its been a while since i've posted here cause San Antonio has a two months trout season... :/

but just to keep everyone up to date with what i've been doin...
i worked the whole summer at a carwash and saved up 1.6k and got myself a 1432 Jon boat, trailer, and 50Lbs Minn Kota trolling motor (goin at a full two knots! )
Click the image to open in full size.
My boat with the deck me and a buddy built. (yes its astroturf! )

here is the first fish i caught in the boat too... 24"

I've been using the old baitcaster (i know i know, i don't belong here) catching some red fish at braunig lake. There is a power plant feeding water into the lake and we learned whenever they pump water in if we use a silver with blue on top rattlertrap or pure silver spoon we will get hit after hit by red drum and stripers!

so i went out got an 8wt basspro rod and reel combo (gonna have to upgrade the reel so i can use it at the coast!) and three flys... with the same color as my rattletraps.

I have not caught anything over 1lb so i've just been pulling in my fish... but as soon as i get a fish within 10 yards of my boat they take off! any advice for those trophy fish (my friend's dad caught a 40 inch red there! so i'm pretty nervous about this trip sunday).
Old 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Reds in a Lake!

Hi MikeyBob,

You did a good job on that deck. If you are fishing in saltwater I hope you are using a saltwater rated Minn Kota trolling motor. The saltwater will eat up a regular trolling motor pretty fast.

That is a nice fish and you should be proud of your accomplishment. In regards to handling fish close to the boat. A lot of fish are boat or net shy and you just have to be prepared for that last dash before you land it. If you play the fish from the reel you will be more in control and won't have a bunch of line laying on the deck that you might step on or get wrapped around your feet. If you have a big fish on it will take out the slack line and then use the reel and drag. You should have the drag set before you catch a fish. You want it to give some resistance but not real tight so you have to worry about breaking your tippet. You need to learn how to palm the reel so you can add some additional resistance when the fish runs.

The fish will show you your mistakes so just learn from the mistakes and try again.

Frank
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff Mike!

You should have a blast in that boat. That red is a beaut-- get the tying stuff out man, and get cranking--- you may need more than 3 flies if 40" fish are prowling around.

How deep are they? Some simple to tie patterns using inexpensive materials:

If they're real deep, some heavily weighted white clousers would probably do the trick

Mid depth suspending stuff like "bucktail deceivers" and/or "glass minnows" in all white or blue over white with a topping of peacock herl just use bucktail, silver or pearl body braid, peacock herl topping and maybe some pearl krystal flash for a little sparkle.

"Schminnows" (unweighted, weighted with a few wraps of non toxic "lead" bead chain or dumbell eyes depending on depth) using white marabou and pearl cactus chenille (or estaz) are also a quick tie and could be good.

I'd tie them on a saltwater hook like a Mustad 3407 or 34007 so you can use them in the gulf too.

Good luck and keep us posted- hoping to see some more pics of you and some big bruisers with a fly rod in the back round!

mark
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

MikeyBob: NIce boat and deck! You should have a blast with that setup. Good work on the fish, keep posting your fishing reports and keep after those big fish!

Larry
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

That is a nice fish no matter how you caught it. Not many people are able to save that kind of money these days, my hat is off to you for being a person of such integrity. The one comment about a saltwater minn kota is very true, they are white in colour and anodized for protection from the salt.
Hope to see some pictures of your fish on your flyrod and hey make sure you post some fly pictures to.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well done dood. The boat looks a whole lot like some rigs I've seen used for poling flats for carp. You'll likely want to get a push pole for use at the coast.

I haven't fished Braunig in years. There's some large tilapia in there as well you might be able to have fun with.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking boat. I like the casting deck. It doesn't look like there is any place for line to snag. Now don't screw that up by wearing Teva sandals while you are casting!

That's a great looking Red.

MP
Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice job on the boat; both the deck and the working to buy it.

Dan
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
... but as soon as i get a fish within 10 yards of my boat they take off!
I'm not sure if you mean after or before you hook 'em. If you mean before, you may want to try moving up wind on the trolling motor of the fish and then drift through the spot. Another idea is to anchor quietly in the spot and wait for the fish to move back.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm not sure if you mean after or before you hook 'em. If you mean before, you may want to try moving up wind on the trolling motor of the fish and then drift through the spot. Another idea is to anchor quietly in the spot and wait for the fish to move back.
its after i hook them... if i get into them, i'll literally get hit after hit, its almost exhausting! :P

here are the flys i bought
if anybody has some personal fly they would like me to tie then try out on braunig, i'd be happy to give you a report!