The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tastiest Trout

HOW DARE YOU!! Don't you know trout are divine! You can't eat them!!!

Just joking a little, but honestly I would like to see MANY MANY more areas catch and release only; probably MOST areas should be catch and release. Some trout populations are so fragile, and they have enough environmental factors working to kill them off, that we should be helping them survive instead of harvesting them. Then we could stop stocking so many places and let people pursue WILD trout, rather than cornfed cheeseball eaters from the tanker trucks.

Trout are for osprey, they know how to eat just one.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I prefer the wild 9" browns sauted in lemon butter stuffed with morel mushrooms over a bed of fresh watercress. Fortunately all 3 key ingredients are abundant on my favorite stream. Take a couple 9" browns twice a year won't affect the overall population.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I prefer the wild 9" browns sauted in lemon butter stuffed with morel mushrooms over a bed of fresh watercress. Fortunately all 3 key ingredients are abundant on my favorite stream. Take a couple 9" browns twice a year won't affect the overall population.
Your making me hungry... I have heard from many people before that brook trout are the tastiest, but noone has mention that yet. I have not eaten a brook trout, just rainbows and browns now and then.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Rainbows are good but I agree with Dan that Walleye are the best tasting fish out there.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I used to be fortunate enough to fish a very private little river down in Connecticut, that is ridiculously heavily stocked by the club that owns the mile or so of river I fished. ANYWAY, I fished with an elderly gent (even more elderly than moi) one day and landed several 18" holdover brook trout. He insisted, INSISTED that I kill the fish and take them home. Who was I to quibble? Long story short....took 'em home, smoked them the same day...Incredible! They were the best tasting fish I've ever eaten. LOL, and haven't killed a trout since. That was probably 10 years ago.
Just call me smokey,
Gary
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I used to be fortunate enough to fish a very private little river down in Connecticut, that is ridiculously heavily stocked by the club that owns the mile or so of river I fished. ANYWAY, I fished with an elderly gent (even more elderly than moi) one day and landed several 18" holdover brook trout. He insisted, INSISTED that I kill the fish and take them home. Who was I to quibble? Long story short....took 'em home, smoked them the same day...Incredible! They were the best tasting fish I've ever eaten. LOL, and haven't killed a trout since. That was probably 10 years ago.
Just call me smokey,
Gary
You ought to be turned in to the authorities for that... Eating SEVERAL 18' brookies...Don't be surpised if some men in green coats come knockin' on your door.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Brookies that big are elderly and will die soon on their own. You can harvest them for yourself or leave them for raccoon chow.

It my little brook, a mature brookie in the last season of it's natural life is 3 years old and about 9 inches in length.
I have no problem keeping fish that size. It's the younger, 5"-6" breeders that need to go back.
Those little brookies live in the cleanest water around and are pretty tasty.
That said, I'd rather eat bluegill.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Your making me hungry... I have heard from many people before that brook trout are the tastiest, but noone has mention that yet. I have not eaten a brook trout, just rainbows and browns now and then.
I think it has more to do with what the trout eats (and how fast it grows) than species. It seems that the younger a fish is, the better it tastes (across all species, not just trout). So if it gets into keeper range faster, its going to taste better. So if you want a tasty trout, go to a chalk stream or catch some stockers.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, yessireebob, those brookies were MIGHTY tasty. Of course, the therapy I had to undergo for several years to get over my feelings of guilt and remorse at having been the cause of their demise were enough to firmly entrench me into the live release (as they call it in Canada) camp as far as cold water fishies are concerned.

Warm water fishies are, however, a whole other story.
grinning,
Gary
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I would find out who is dumping the lemon butter in your stream...

Dave