The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Tastiest Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I would find out who is dumping the lemon butter in your stream...

Dave
Well, it is right downstream from a dairy farm. Maybe that's why they tasted so good!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I only take the very occasional wild fish just to remind me that they taste delicious, but are a total pain to eat. My most recent was a 13in sea-run cutthroat that fought like a champ... I regretted eating it to be honest, so it didn't taste as good as I'd have liked.

I'll eat hatchery fish though... especially steelhead
Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I eat a lot of trout and they taste different yet it is like beer to me. I like Beer. Cold and free is my favorite but will drink Guinness to Oly.

Trout are much the same...Except I find the texture and flavor of pen raised fish that get dumped for put-n-take reservoirs or rivers that are short of any reasonable food source so the fish do not have the opportunity to develop a good flavor to be the very worst of the trout.

I think the hoopla of c and r is bit over rated. Most healthy fisheries need selective harvest. Do not get me wrong, I am mainly c and r but do enjoy trout as well as the healthy nature of eating trout. It is good food and very good for the body.

Now I am also probably a bit biased because I live in the heart of great and Abundant trout fishing. Many self sustaining trout fisheries as well as stock and grow fisheries. I will never keep trout from a resource that I feel is a troubled fishery even if the regulations allow for it. i.e. keeping rainbows from several of the western Colorado fishing locations.

But, if I catch a brook trout or a wild cutthroat from a viable resource I am going to eat it. We are fortunate and unfortunate to have several native cut lakes getting decimated by the brookies...So we can and should keep those brookies to help sustain the cut populations...

Much like the South Fork of the Snake...where the plead with the angler to keep rainbows and even hybrids to help the native cutthroat. But it still very difficult to keep a raging river bow with all the majesty that it has been given. If you do not like trout, c and r and we thank you..if you like trout find the right resource and don't let your conscience beat you up...Its good for the body and soul!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Cochise,

That was about as well put as any post I have ever read here regarding use of a resource.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Great discussion folks with lots of good points being made. I am a firm believer in the concept of "Selective Release," a term coined by the In-Fisherman crowd to indicate taking fish for eating when you know the resource needs it, or can easily stand the removing of a few fish. Also agree that fatally injured fish should be kept if the law allows it, as eating a fish that you caught is head and shoulders above eating one from the store as far as being a true conservationist goes. The entire commercial fishing industry is rife with mis mangagement and a conservation bane and sadly the same often goes with the fish farm industry although there are a few exceptions to those rules. As for the best tasting Trout, listed in order: Snook, Pomano, Grouper, Yellow Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, Sunfish, Walleye, ....... and way down the list but still delicious in it's own right, Trout. As for me a small brookie is about as good as it gets but most any fish that has spent it's life in the wild is great eating. For those who have trouble with eating trout--learn to peel the meat from the bones on your plate--it's easy!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I prefer bull trout...bigger the better. I eat every one i catch in case we run out someday.

All kidding aside, i prefer wild brookies in cast iron pan
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I am all for selective release, normally I wont keep fish over 6lb because they are the breeding stock for the river (but it greatly depends on the water way). if I catch any corse or pan fish I will keep them as they compete with native fish and eels reducing thier numbers.

the best tasting trout I ever ate was from Hearts creek. it was over fat stuffed with cray fish and caddis nymphs so many that the fish was hard not firm

taking a brookie I wouldnt consider it they are struggling in NZ in some alpine rivers they are in the head waters where it is cold enough to keep browns and rainbows away, and in a few lakes (in one of the lakes they get to 3-4lb!) I would love to catch a few.

next season I am going to start fishing for sea run browns should be fun and tasty
(unfortunatly I have missed the runs this year salmon and trout)

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Great discussion folks with lots of good points being made. I am a firm believer in the concept of "Selective Release," a term coined by the In-Fisherman crowd to indicate taking fish for eating when you know the resource needs it, or can easily stand the removing of a few fish. Also agree that fatally injured fish should be kept if the law allows it, as eating a fish that you caught is head and shoulders above eating one from the store as far as being a true conservationist goes. The entire commercial fishing industry is rife with mis mangagement and a conservation bane and sadly the same often goes with the fish farm industry although there are a few exceptions to those rules. As for the best tasting Trout, listed in order: Snook, Pomano, Grouper, Yellow Perch, Crappie, Bluegill, Sunfish, Walleye, ....... and way down the list but still delicious in it's own right, Trout. As for me a small brookie is about as good as it gets but most any fish that has spent it's life in the wild is great eating. For those who have trouble with eating trout--learn to peel the meat from the bones on your plate--it's easy!
Chuck: I don't know if I have ever tasted Snook or or Pomano, but Grouper is my all time favorite fish, right behind that is Halibut! Now we are talking great eating fish. To me Trout just isn't that great, but each to his own.

Larry

Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
To me Trout just isn't that great, Larry
I agree. As far as Salt Water fish go, I think Mahi Mahi (Dolphin Fish, Dorado) are the best.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I'd say brook trout smoked and rainbow fried or grilled.