The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default fast action vs. mod. fast?

in a 4wt-6wt., is this just a personal preference? my rods are slower, but i thought about picking up a fast action rod at a big discount. bear in mind that i am just a casual fly guy, at best. thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fast action vs. mod. fast?

I'm a not-so-casual addict and prefer my Sage RPL in a 5wt which is a moderate/fast action. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've tried the fast action rods and really like them, but I haven't seen the need to change from my old Sage rod.

Kelly.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

The fast action rods suit my casting stroke best. having said that I own both fast and medium action rods. All my client rods are medium action, they suit a wider range of casting strokes and are easier to teach clients with. Most of my fishing is with streamers and calls for the fast action. when I go dry i use the medium action rods and adjust my casting stroke.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
in a 4wt-6wt., is this just a personal preference? my rods are slower, but i thought about picking up a fast action rod at a big discount. bear in mind that i am just a casual fly guy, at best. thanks for any ideas.
It's personal preference. That is due to two factors: stroke and application.

Each person has a stroke that they feel more comfortable with certain action. My stroke preference is medium fast to fast. My girlfriend's stroke is medium to medium fast.

Application is important. Those throwing soft presentations may work best with slower rods. Those throwing large streamers may do better with quicker rods.

MP
Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'm prefer a medium to medium fast action rod, but if the wind is strong and I want to get some line out a fast action does a better job.
It takes some adjustment, but it's not that difficult.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I'm skeptical of all of the sub-categories (med-fast, slow-med, etc.)rather than slow, medium and fast. But I guess I do prefer the faster med rather than a 'true' medium. I guess I have a bad casting stroke, but I just like the forgiveness of a slightly slower rod. And I don't have a problem getting to the 60' mark with a bigger fly with the med- med/fast rods....

So; Make mine a medium (with a little extra) ,please.

I do see tailing loops with a 'true' fast rod- until I adjust- As Wabi said: it's not hard to adjust-- just takes me a little 'respect' for the rod and it works just fine.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

The categories and sub categories of rods makes for interesting discussion but all too often this falls into the category of the fellow who walks into the fly shop picks a rod off the rack, balances it on his finger, wiggles it from side to side and up and down a bit, then presses it to the rug to look at the bend. The expression on his face tells volumes as it's a bit of quizzical, a hint of a frown at times, and then a smile as he pronounces, "this is a fine fly rod indeed!" At times he may even get a couple of the others who hang out at the shop, to pick up rods, usually their favorites, go through the wiggle tests and such, and then launch into a soliloquy on the finer points of fly rods and why the IM-7s are better than the IM6s, etc.

In the end analysis it's your rod, and has to be the rod that works for you if you are to be happy. The many terms and more that we use to describe rods, unfortunately means different things to different folks. Even a master rod builder who has been into what makes a rod tick may or may not be using the terms the same as you understand them. Rod lightness, hardware, taper, modulous, density, slenderness, rod materials, and more go into making a rod tick to our liking. Fast does equate to stiff but also equates to taper, materials, hardware (especialy hardware weight) and so it goes. Orvis has a flex index that helps for sure to narrow down rods you might like if you know what rods you really like and how they equate to the Flex Index. By far the best thing to do when contemplating a new rod is head to a shop, or gather a dozen fly fishing friends and start trying as many of the various rods as you can. Lawn casting may not be the enth degree as far as test driving a rod goes but it will give you a great feel for the rod above and beyond the inshop wiggle and pontificate tests! Above all be sure to get a rod that has bends in a parabolic curve!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
The categories and sub categories of rods makes for interesting discussion... SNIP//

// SNIP// In the end analysis it's your rod, and has to be the rod that works for you if you are to be happy.

QFT-- the whole post should be quoted, but I don't want to take up forum space when the post is immediately above mine....

Well Said, Chuck. rep for you...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM

goofnoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
If you are talking about a freshwater trout rod, I don't like the biffo-stiffo's.

I've been casting flies for 50+ years. The Sage RPL's are still the best casting rod that I have ever touched for trout weight lines.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Personal preference is so important. I read a lot of comments about different rods and sometimes I wonder if we are talking about the same rod. I remember one active member who had a rod and over lined it a line or two. I just couldn't believe that he thought the rod cast better.

All of my active rods are Sage RPL or RPL+. Been using them for many years and never felt a need to use anything else.

Frank