The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Nafff

Default How to use a whip finish tool

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: How to use a whip finish tool
Old 09-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to use a whip finish tool

Here's a question on proper use of the whip finish tool. I use a Matarelli, but I think that the answer will be the same for the finisher that's used in the thread. The question, taken from step #7 in the whip finish FAQ, is: which way do you wrap the thread; from the bend towards the eye or from the eye towards the bend? Or, does it matter?

Might as well tip my hand: I wrap from the eye towards the bend; 4-5 wraps/ doubled.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Pocono,

I wrap from the starting point toward the hook eye.

Frank
Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 PM

butchhe is on a distinguished road

Being a noob at tying, using the whip finisher is probably the most frustrating part for me. I have a habit of making the wraps come off the shank and wind up with 4-5 twists in the thread. I then have to unwrap it and pray the none of the other wraps come undone. Very frustrating!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Here is one other way from step8.
Click the image to open in full size.
Trygve
Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Taskienne is on a distinguished road

Hello, you can this this knot just with your hand, it's easy ; I'll take photos to show...

Ciao.