The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM

butchhe is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Georgia

I just found out that I will be moving to Warner Robins, GA next month and was wondering what I could expect locally for fishing.

I know that north of Atlanta, I can expect world renown trout fishing on 't the Chattahoochee River, but I don't think I will be driving 200+ miles every weekend. I'm looking for something a little closer that I could shoot out to after work.

As far a gear is concerned, I have a 6 wt St Croix rod with a Teton reel, so for trout, I will be good to go.

I have fished for bass with a spinning rod/reel set up, but never a fly rod. Would a 6 wt work well? I have used it to fish for Sockey, Coho, Pink and Chum salmon and it held up extremely well, although it probably weak in the spine for 7+ lb fish.

I plan on getting a 9 wt setup eventually for my trips back to Alaska, which I could probably use to throw the bigger bass plugs.

I just started tying flys for salmon (maybe 20 or so), so I will have to expand the limited knowledge that I have on tying, but am looking forward to the challenge.

If any of you happen to be around that area, I would enjoy getting to know you and maybe even fish together.

Tight Lines.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 AM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Georgia

Well if you can just hop up the around Asheville nc,,thats where i am backwater is the best
Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

Butchhe:
Unfortunately the good trout fishing is about 200 miles from where you are, but the Hooch and the streams in the Smokey Mountain area are well worth the drive. I do a lot of bass fishing on the local lakes and a 6 wt will serve you well. Plus don't overlook the fishing for bream, (that what we call blugilss, sun pearch etc. down here in the south) smallmouth bass in the local lakes and streams. Warm water fly fishing can be habit forming. Plus you can head down south to the coast and get in a little saltwater fishing in when you get the 9 wt.
GJ
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road

lets go do some fishing