The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 01:39 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Upstream or downstream....

Personally, I am casting upstream at 45 degrees or so and drifting downstream 45 degrees and then picking up the line. While there are exceptions to this, that amounts to the far majority of the fishing I do.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I'd rather cast upstream and dead drift.

But it really depends on the situation..

like this..

Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Across and up, fish are much easer to approach from behind (as long as you keep low enough), I have presented slack line casts when needed directally down stream.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I cast upstream, sometimes at a 7/8, to keep myself out of the drift, but also often allow the fly to hang a few seconds downstream once the drift has completed. I have taken a lot of fish on the swing or the hang, so, this too has become a technique in my fishing. Fishing upstream allows me to keep my drift drag free longer, though, as said above, conditions often dictate a modification to this.

d
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I find that casting upstream is a pain the in butt sometimes. If I can position myself off to one side, I'll cast quarter upstream and drift past me.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

My prefered way is to cast at about forty-five degrees up stream. When wading I spend as much time on the bank as I can and only enter the water after I have fished everything I can reach from shore. Sometimes as I move I see an oportunity down stream and will make a wiggle cast down stream to the spot or fish. I find it very satisfying to cast down stream and hook up. To me a much harder way to catch a fish.

Frank
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I can count myself in the minority here. I fish a lot and love the opportunity and challenge of presenting a dry fly to actively feeding fish, with a downstream approach my favorite way to do this. Nothing like getting a good drift into a feeding lane and having the fish eat. My preferred method is down and across with a lot of slack in the line. It does take some time to master this method, but to me its my favorite way to fish dry flies and emergers.

Kelly.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I guess I can count myself in the minority here. I fish a lot and love the opportunity and challenge of presenting a dry fly to actively feeding fish, with a downstream approach my favorite way to do this. Nothing like getting a good drift into a feeding lane and having the fish eat. My preferred method is down and across with a lot of slack in the line. It does take some time to master this method, but to me its my favorite way to fish dry flies and emergers.

Kelly.
Mr Kelly
On big river one can do what one wants
But on small gin clear trout stream one must be invisible to fish downstream

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

To me, the fish decides which way I approach.
I use the technique that gives me the best advantage on that particular fish's lye.
Over time I've concluded that an upstream cast is slightly sneakier.
I can make more attempts unnoticed this way, but with less distance.
Much greater range for my presentation, casting/drifting downstream.
But as madjoni said, I've had to learn to be invisible.
The hardest part, is that a different set is needed for each style.
Rod setting while fishing downstream, is a great way to miss a fish.

Kelly, you either need to come out and tease some fish here, or I'm coming there.
Sounds like we have much the same sickness.
Stalking a big "smart" fish from afar.
Better than Christmas, when it works.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-08-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
To me, the fish decides which way I approach.
I use the technique that gives me the best advantage on that particular fish's lye.
Over time I've concluded that an upstream cast is slightly sneakier.
I can make more attempts unnoticed this way, but with less distance.
Much greater range for my presentation, casting/drifting downstream.
But as madjoni said, I've had to learn to be invisible.
The hardest part, is that a different set is needed for each style.
Rod setting while fishing downstream, is a great way to miss a fish.

Kelly, you either need to come out and tease some fish here, or I'm coming there.
Sounds like we have much the same sickness.
Stalking a big "smart" fish from afar.

Jim
- get out here, dude! Welcome anytime.

Kelly.