The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Upstream or downstream.... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/112077-upstream-downstream.html)

fyshstykr 03-07-2011 08:03 PM

Upstream or downstream....

Conditions often dictate our approach and presentation when presenting a fly. With that in mind this question is directed more towards the "Dry fly fishermen".

If conditions are such that you have a "choice".....Would you rather present your Dry Fly from upstream OR downstream? And why?

Davo 03-07-2011 08:45 PM

Re: Upstream or downstream....

Good question. If I have the choice I would prefer to present from down stream. Fish face into the current most the time so coming from behind means less chance of being spotted. Also it gives you best opportunity for a good drag free drift. Just my preference! :D

milt spawn 03-07-2011 08:47 PM

I would rather present my fly from downstream, that is, casting upstream. Probably because I like being sneaky, or traditional. milt.

cattech89 03-07-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo (Post 220756)
Good question. If I have the choice I would prefer to present from down stream. Fish face into the current most the time so coming from behind means less chance of being spotted. Also it gives you best opportunity for a good drag free drift. Just my preference! :D

Davo, took the words right off my keyboard...:D
I can't add anything else.

Hardyreels 03-07-2011 09:16 PM

Hi Fysh,

Good question, upstream cast for me or better put, quartered up so I get a good dead drift. For downstream, on large stretches of water I always let the fly coast down until it starts waking or gets pulled under. I've caught enough fish that way that it became a habit over time.

On small streams you do sometimes run into a feeding fish that can only be reached with a down stream approach. Here it becomes a matter of developing a style that will get results. :icon_wink

gt05254 03-07-2011 09:17 PM

Dry fly fishing for atlantic salmon often requires that you cast across and down instead of the easier upstream cast because you're in a pool with others, in a rotation, and they are all stepping downstream, not up. Truly have to go with the flow, all puns intended. Once you get the hang of it, its not so bad.
Forever mending,
Gary

cromney 03-07-2011 09:47 PM

For smaller water, I like standing in the middle of the river(when possible) walking upstream and casting upstream covering the fishy spots. Why? I like seeing some those trout turn on a dry fly, chase it downstream and nail it. Sometimes they chase they fly with in your rods length, very pleasurable on the eyes.

madjoni 03-07-2011 09:50 PM

Upstream rules:)
And i think of trout,other species like grayling can be fished downstream,but trout and small streams simply cant work over here with downstream aproach.
You easily spook trout even going upstream and fishing downstream is unthinkable

mcnerney 03-08-2011 12:20 AM

Fysh: You should get a copy of Rene' Harrop's book titled "Learning the Water", it is an excellent read, he has a whole chapter devoted to this subject titled "Fishing the Clock".

Larry

Davo 03-08-2011 12:57 AM

Fysh

My answer was assuming your talking wade fishing. From a drift boat it would be quartering downstream or straight across.