The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Upstream or downstream....

Conditions often dictate our approach and presentation when presenting a fly. With that in mind this question is directed more towards the "Dry fly fishermen".

If conditions are such that you have a "choice".....Would you rather present your Dry Fly from upstream OR downstream? And why?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Last edited by fysh; 03-07-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Upstream or downstream....

Good question. If I have the choice I would prefer to present from down stream. Fish face into the current most the time so coming from behind means less chance of being spotted. Also it gives you best opportunity for a good drag free drift. Just my preference!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather present my fly from downstream, that is, casting upstream. Probably because I like being sneaky, or traditional. milt.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Good question. If I have the choice I would prefer to present from down stream. Fish face into the current most the time so coming from behind means less chance of being spotted. Also it gives you best opportunity for a good drag free drift. Just my preference!
Davo, took the words right off my keyboard...
I can't add anything else.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Fysh,

Good question, upstream cast for me or better put, quartered up so I get a good dead drift. For downstream, on large stretches of water I always let the fly coast down until it starts waking or gets pulled under. I've caught enough fish that way that it became a habit over time.

On small streams you do sometimes run into a feeding fish that can only be reached with a down stream approach. Here it becomes a matter of developing a style that will get results.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Dry fly fishing for atlantic salmon often requires that you cast across and down instead of the easier upstream cast because you're in a pool with others, in a rotation, and they are all stepping downstream, not up. Truly have to go with the flow, all puns intended. Once you get the hang of it, its not so bad.
Forever mending,
Gary
Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

For smaller water, I like standing in the middle of the river(when possible) walking upstream and casting upstream covering the fishy spots. Why? I like seeing some those trout turn on a dry fly, chase it downstream and nail it. Sometimes they chase they fly with in your rods length, very pleasurable on the eyes.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Upstream rules
And i think of trout,other species like grayling can be fished downstream,but trout and small streams simply cant work over here with downstream aproach.
You easily spook trout even going upstream and fishing downstream is unthinkable
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fysh: You should get a copy of Rene' Harrop's book titled "Learning the Water", it is an excellent read, he has a whole chapter devoted to this subject titled "Fishing the Clock".

Larry

Larry
Old 03-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Fysh

My answer was assuming your talking wade fishing. From a drift boat it would be quartering downstream or straight across.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures