The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1st time trout fishing

You might get to where you like them so well that you add a soft hackle to lots of your wet flies. I tie and fish lots of a soft hackle version of this fly.

Click the image to open in full size.

That pictured is a couple turns of dry fly hackle, I replace it with partridge. Hen hackle also works, but partridge moves better in the water. That wing is a few strands of antron over hen hackle fibers. The hen hackle is used to provide a noticeable wing, and the antron for some sparkle. Antron is sold in many forms, but for flies like that I prefer the stuff described as "antron yarn". Combed out "sparkle yarn" will also work, but its more of a pain to work with. Get some tan and a pale olive antron yarn and that will cover most all trout flies.You may notice that I will most always suggest caddis type patterns, rather than mayflies. Most trout fishers pay more attention to mayflies and their imitations, but I prefer to stick mostly with caddis flies. Caddis are a more active bug, trout hit them harder, and there is not as much variance from one species to the next compared to mayflies.To me, mayflies are kinda similar to french wine. The best wines in the world may be french, but ya gotta learn a whole new language and invest alot to take advantage of the best stuff. To me tying and fishing caddis flies is more similar to Australian and American wines- more bang for the investment of knowledge and plenty of fun. Also, other fisherfolx are more likely to be fishing mayfly patterns, so the trout are less likely to already have seen caddis patterns.

For those who are wondering what the heck I'm talking about here is a caddisfly-

And here is a mayfly-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM

ejbun is on a distinguished road

Just got back from my 3000th time trout fishing and we have a lot in common. Even when they are rising, there are many times when they ignor what you're slingin. All advise above is great. When you are getting the trout "heisman" best thing to do is to keep changing it up. Soft hackles are a great solution. Keep at it and you'll soon have back-up plans that are killer.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

ejbun, love your Avitar, got two on my car