The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly2Fish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

Who is tying with a Ekich Bobbin, are they worth their weight and gold??

A little pricey for me @ $100 Click Here

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

If I wanted an automatic bobbin I'd buy the Nor Bobbin its a lot less. I think for $50 you get the bobbin and 3 spools. Some people say they don't want to bother with filling spools, but if you have a cordless drill its easy and fast.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 03-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Tom said!

Larry

Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

The most I've paid for a bobbin is when I bought my first Rite Bobbin. I felt it was too much at the time, especially when the tube came apart from the handle. A quick fix with epoxy did the trick. Anyway, now its my go-to bobbin for most of my tying. $100 or even $50 is just too much for a fly tying tool such as a bobbin. It's bad enough that the vises carry such a hefty price tag, now they want to get more out of us for the next best tool to come along. Seems this falls in the same category as the Abel nippers - too extravagant for my taste or needs.

Kelly.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

Okay, we have a lot of theoretical criticism here of the Ekich bobbin by people who have no hands-on experience with it. Yes, it's certainly the most expensive bobbin I know of, but it does have unique qualities not available in other bobbins (including its nearest competitor, the Nor-Vise). And in a sport with $600 vises and $850 rods, not to mention $1000 "line holders" (a/k/a reels), $100 is not a lot to spend on a durable device that plays so central a role in fly-tying with the several unique advantages it has.

I have not used my Ekich enough to write a worthwhile gear review, but I will say that for those like myself who tie tiny tailwater flies - # 22-28 - this bobbin has no equal. The Nor-Vise in its own literature states that it is not intended for smaller flies, plus when you add the number of extra spools needed for a decent number of threads, its cost in usable form goes way up. And you also have the annoyance of having to rewind thread on those uniquely-sized spools, whereas the Ekich takes normal-sized spools, thus not requiring thread rewinding on extra-purchased one-purpose specially-sized spools.

I will also say that the tensioning mechanism in the Ekich works superbly, not an easy accomplishment when working with super-thin threads for flies in the mid-20 range where threads are all too prone to breaking.
coug likes this.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

I think a good portion of the cost went into the voice over. SMOOOOOOTH!! Ekich Ultimate Fly Tying Bobbin

Joking aside, looks like a sweet bobbin!!