The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Just thought I would share.

I've never had much need for indicators until today when I really needed to suspend a fly.
So I came home and made some indicators out of 2 mm foam and loops of 12 lb. test mono loops. I made two kinds:

1. one piece of foam with a loop at each end like a hoppicator.
2. two pieces of foam tied together with a mono loop tied in between. The other ends are also tied together. so they don't splay apart. This kind should stand up sort of like some bobbers when it gets a hit.

Everything was just tied together using tying thread.

Which one would you guys typically use? they are each about an inch long.

and if you would use them, how would you attach them? I've never used indicators.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just thought I would share.

In faster water I like to use a Thingamabobber, at $1.29 each they are had to beat and even the small ones are easy to see and I like the adjustability in that I can change the position on the leader fairly fast when I change water depths. Other times I like to use the hopper/dropper configuration, then last year Kelly introduced me to his parasol emerger setup is is just killer in very slow moving water. Take a look here: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

Larry

Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I think your going to have some problems keeping those foam indies to stay in place on the leader; especially during the cast.

Like Larry said, the Thingamabobbers work great. I also use the football shaped ones, never had an issue of not seeing it.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not big on indicators, but I do carry some 'just in case'. However, I don't believe that I've ever used one that I didn't make myself.

These are made with rug yarn and an O ring

Click the image to open in full size.

Most of the time I don't even get that complicated and just use the yarn with an indicator knot

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=57
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

When I looked up the thingamabobber, it attaches the same way these do. Riptide, I really like those.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Around here we call the Indicator that Riptide has shown, the "Don King"(affectionately named after the fight promoter), grease it up real good and that thing will float an anchor. Works well with heavy 2-3 fly nymph rigs, but a bit much more smaller fare.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Here's a couple of these I just cranked out. One made with synthetic hair and one made from craft foam. Years ago, I bought a box of O rings at Harbor Freight and made a bunch. I found I didn't care for the way they wouldn't stay put or move when I wanted them to, and gave away all I'd made. These are made with two O rings. The rings don't float so they have to be greased pretty well.

Click the image to open in full size.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 AM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

Any I have used with an o-ring require way too much material or floatant to compensate for the non-bouyancy of the o-ring. I also don't like the way light leaders or tippets cinch down into the rubber making it a pain to remove or adjust, and leave my leader kinked to all h3ll after its moved or removed. I haven't tried a Fish Pimp, it'll likely be the style I experiment with next time i'm needing a refill.

-Jones
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Using two O rings probably doesn't help