The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default "chuck & duck" Tecnique, what is this?

Have read about this chuck & duck rig or style of casting in more than one thread, and was wondering what it is?

Kevin
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "chuck & duck" Tecnique, what is this?

It is a casting technique used when tossing big flies. When you go to make your cast(chuck) and you think it might hurt if your fly catches you in the head you lean(duck) to the side as the fly is coming past you so you don't get hit.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few times in which I ducked much lower. For example, I chucked a #2 Conehead Blue Moon steelhead fly into the back of my head. Luckily, I pinched the barb. But what really hurt was the impact of the conehead.

MP
Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Here in the Great Lakes area "Chuck and Duck" is a technique guides came up with to dredge bottom for Steelies and Salmon, before the advent of indicator fishing. They set a fly rod up with running line or mono; add a leader of 20# amnesia to run their slinky on, swivel on the end of that then the tippet. You can't really cast it like you would with conventional flyline; you just lob it to the head of the run and bounce bottom until the line starts swinging up. It can be very effective in deeper water, but I prefer indicator fishing.

Some flyfisherman look down on it and will say that it isn't really flyfishing.

Dan
Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
There are a few times in which I ducked much lower. For example, I chucked a #2 Conehead Blue Moon steelhead fly into the back of my head. Luckily, I pinched the barb. But what really hurt was the impact of the conehead.

MP
Wear a helmet instead of a cap and a bulletproof vest when you go fishing
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin-

A lot of times it's referred to somewhat jokingly when casting heavily weighted streamers-

But in areas like the Great lakes tribs, as Dan mentioned, "chuck and duck" involves lobbing a "slinky" (parachute cord filled with split shot) using the weight of the slinky for the cast- either with mono or even fly line-- but not "fly casting" with backcasts and such. The technique is effective especially in areas of fast current to bounce the slinky along the bottom to fish an egg fly or nymph deep, but may not qualify as fly fishing in "fly only" stretches in some states.

The slinky is made by taking a length of nylon parachute cord, heating one end over a flame to seal it, filling it up with split shot, and closing the top by pinning the flap closed with a snap swivel. The slinky slithers along the bottom and doesn't foul on the bottom as easily as splitshot.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good follow-up on the slinky explanation Peregrines, I forgot that not everyone would know what a slinky is...I know here in MI that the chuck & duck is legal on Flies Only water...

Dan
Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck and duckguys on the N. shore of Lake Superior, either spool the fly reel with mono, (camo line being the favorite) or use a spinning reel on the rod. You then use at the terminal end of the line a slinky weight which as mention prior is made with split shot, parachute cord and a swivel. up the line from the slinky weight you put a size 2 or 4 octopus hook on a short dropper. Snell the hook on but keep the knot back from the eye 3/16" or so. Push the line through the eye of the hook and make an open loop on top of the hook. Take a piece of yarn and put it through the loop and then tighten the line. Cut the yarn to about an inch or so and fray it up. When they refer to a yarn fly this is what they are talking about. You chuck the rig up stream and keep the line tight as the current drags the slinky and yarn fly back down current. Set the hook on any pause in the drift. Viola... chuck and duck. Not really fly fishing. I believe this was how center pinning was started.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Chuck and duckguys on the N. shore of Lake Superior, either spool the fly reel with mono, (camo line being the favorite) or use a spinning reel on the rod. You then use at the terminal end of the line a slinky weight which as mention prior is made with split shot, parachute cord and a swivel. up the line from the slinky weight you put a size 2 or 4 octopus hook on a short dropper. Snell the hook on but keep the knot back from the eye 3/16" or so. Push the line through the eye of the hook and make an open loop on top of the hook. Take a piece of yarn and put it through the loop and then tighten the line. Cut the yarn to about an inch or so and fray it up. When they refer to a yarn fly this is what they are talking about. You chuck the rig up stream and keep the line tight as the current drags the slinky and yarn fly back down current. Set the hook on any pause in the drift. Viola... chuck and duck. Not really fly fishing. I believe this was how center pinning was started.
The chuck 'n duck HuronRiverDan described is what we used in Michigan (where it was if not invented, brought to light.)
It gets the rig (single hook egg and stone flies usually) down deep and quick for steelhead in short, deep holes. I think the boys at the original Johnsons Lodge were instrumental in perfecting that technique and tought me about it in the early '80's
We used our conventional fly reel and rod, just subbed fly line with mono (usually Amnesia) to reduce the drag the current has and to really get the rig down deep.