The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM

fredthefishhead is on a distinguished road
Default Help me decide

I'm looking to purchase an inexpensive 7 wt. fly rod that my son, who has never fly fished before, can use when we go to Belize this summer. I have been endlessly looking at ebay and have several candidates for the under $140 price point I have targeted. Some of these brands I have never even heard of before. Any input would be appreciated.

Rip Tide Fly Rod Saltwater Series 5pc for $125
5 Piece 6/7 Wt 9'0" EMERALD MATRIX for $105
St Croix Reign FlyRod 9' 7wt 4pc for $129
REDINGTON PURSUIT 790-4 FLY ROD 9'0", 7WT, 4PC for $119
Echo2 9' 7 Weight Saltwater Fly Rod for $149
Ross Worldwide Essence FS Fly Rod 7wt 9ft 0in 4pc for $129
Scierra IC3 Fly Fishing Rod 9' 4 pc 7 wt for $119
Wright & Mcgill Boron 5XE Fly Fishing Rod 5 pc 7 wt for $129

Just narrowing it down a bit would help
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help me decide

I don't mean to make it more confusing but the Hobbs Creek combo from Bass pro is awesomefor the money, in my opinion... and at 115, not a bad deal.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Of your list, I have casted two of the rods.

Redington seems to surprise me with its price points. The Pursuit rod has a medium fast to fast feel (labeled fast according to Redington) with a moderate amount of tip bounce if pushed very hard. It casts ok close in. It tracks beautifully in the middle distances (30 to 55 feet). It has a tendency to wander off track past 60. It has a lifetime warranty.

Ross Worldwide has a smooth rod with the Essence. It has a medium fast action to it. Like the Redington, it has a moderate amount of tip bounce when it is pushed very hard. It casts fairly accurately within 30 feet. Up to about 50, it tracks steady. Past 50 it tends to wander off track. The rod only has a one year warranty.

If you can get a chance, cast a few of the rods on your list to help find the one.

MP
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 AM

I would love to get a chance to cast some of these rods, but the nearest fly shop is 3 hours away.....my only option is online. Any other comments out there?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Fred,

I can't comment on the rods you've listed as I have not seen or cast any of them.
Now let me ask you a couple questions; (1).Is your son going to be using this rod again, or is this a one-time deal?

I get the impression he's only using it for this trip. So.....(2). Why not consider buying a rod that you can use after this trip? In reality your buying the rod for yourself in the long run.(I think).

Another thought would be to check out the rods offered by Allen, our local in-house forum shop.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM

I am thinking about keeping it and using it myself, so I'm leaning a bit toward the Echo. But I have a 9 wt. that I am also taking with me to Belize that I can fish for anything bigger than a bonefish. I am looking at Justin's nano rod and alpha reel as well, but the price point is a bit highter than $140.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

What type of warranty comes with the rods your looking at?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Only the Reddington and Riptide models have a stated lifetime limited warrentee. All the others are 1 yr, 2 yr, or ??????(unstated). Someone has to have fished these sticks....Echo? Wright and McGill? Anyone?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthefishhead View Post
Only the Reddington and Riptide models have a stated lifetime limited warrentee. All the others are 1 yr, 2 yr, or ??????(unstated). Someone has to have fished these sticks....Echo? Wright and McGill? Anyone?
My brother fishes the Echo II but it is the 5wt. It is fast, even with the Accuracy tip it threw pretty tight loops. I had no problems with it landing delicately though. And for the closeout price, it is a no-brainer IF it works in your hands. If I was shopping for a rod right now, the closeout Echo II would be very high on my list because it was worth the $279, and is a steal at the 140 that they are being closed out for. Again, this was trout size...everything could be different in the bigger SW model. I don't know anything about any of the others on your list, sorry.
-Jason