The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM

lanczar is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for ultimate dry fly trip

My friend and I have been fly fishing Vail Colorado for several years. This year the fishing was very slow. In order for me to get him to try some place new, I need to find the ultimate dry fly fishing trip. I would be interested in hearing from forum members on the best place to fly fish on dry flies.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looking for ultimate dry fly trip

Just go west a little ways and hit the Frying Pan. Dry fly fishing all year.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
Just go west a little ways and hit the Frying Pan. Dry fly fishing all year.
I second that! You also have the Roaring Fork nearby and it is a lot of fun to target the Green Drake hatch in July.

Larry
Old 09-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Kamchatka

Or if that's a bit much, I'd seek out a strong Green Drake, Hex, or Salmonfly hatch. If Caddis is more your style, the Mother's Day Caddis Hatch on the Arkansas is

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM

permitangler is on a distinguished road

If a mouse is considered a dry fly then I suggest the upper Alagnak River in Alaska around June 17th. There is some caddis action as well. Big post spawn Leopard Rainbows with their heads up. I also dig the Copper River late June as well. You can choose to do a guided or unguided float trip but the often **** weather can make this a bad option. I use to guide in the braids of the upper Alagnak at alaskatrophyadventure.com and run their guide school operation. If you would like a honest opinion of this operation I can give it.