The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM

FliFysh is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Slightly Confused

Well, I've been fly fishing for a month now, mostly in a creek a mile from my house in Northwest Indiana. I really enjoy it so far, but I'm having trouble catching trout. I've caught maybe 4 trout (snagged 1). Ever since i was 5, I grew up catching em on bait. Trout are not native to the creek, but bows are stocked every spring. The creek has a mostly muddy/sandy bottom with lots of little holes and is 20' wide avg. I sometimes fish it after school, but mostly on the weekend. One of my problems is that I dont own waders (too poor =/) and I have a limited selection of flies...So I guess I have a few questions.

What standard flies should I use for rainbows?
How do I cope with not having waders (hopefully I'll get some for christmas)?
I can fish a spot without any hits on a nymph and 5 minutes later catch a trout on a worm. What gives?
I haven't caught any trout in deeper water, only around 2'. How do i present the fly to lower trout?

Well, that's all I can think of now, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me...chances are you've been fly fishing for longer than i have
Old 09-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Taskienne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slightly Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliFysh View Post
1) What standard flies should I use for rainbows?
2) How do I cope with not having waders (hopefully I'll get some for christmas)?
3) I can fish a spot without any hits on a nymph and 5 minutes later catch a trout on a worm. What gives?
4) I haven't caught any trout in deeper water, only around 2'. How do i present the fly to lower trout?
Hello,

1) I don't know, there is no rainbows in rivers I fish.

2) Waders are essential ; so really : entrer in water is not essential. A lot of time, you are more discreet. And learn to cast from bank is very good exercice !!!

So you've seen "And a River Runs throw it" (not sure of title), they fish whit linen trousers... This isn't oldie...

3) Certainly, because you don't see when the fish takes. When trout takes the worm, it's good good for its, and it keeps it in mouth in spite of hook. The nymph isn't natural and from the trout has nymph in mouth, its want to spit out again the nymph... And the trout does...

The best technic to see when trout take in nymph fishing : a bit of 4X yellow before the tip leader ; when the bit of yellow tender : STRIKE !!!

4) Don't understand.

Bye. Clément.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Presenting flies to deeper trout would normally be by using beadhead nymphs though there are other ways.
Is there a fly shop somewhere near you? They could recommend a good book to help you with the basics. Someone here may be able to do that as well. It sounds like you really need a mentor or a good book or DVD to get you started. Until that happens go on YouTube and type in Fly Fishing, then watch what you have time for, there should be alot of help there though you may have to pick through some of it.
Is there a club close by? They are probably one of the best resources out there. Keep trying and learn what you can.
One of the largest problems you are probably facing is getting the fly down to the fish. If you are using weigts with a worm, then you need to look at weighted flies like the beadhead.
When it comes to wading, don't sweat it yet. A 20" wide stream can often be worked over reasonably well from the shore, but you can wet wade, though you want to make sure you are not going to slip and damage yourself. For now learn to present from the shore.
You have lts to learn, but then most of us here are still learning. Choosing to learn to fly fish is a great decision, you will dind help here I would think......Kerry
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road

1) The choice of flies would depend on the area you fish. Local shops may have the answer for you. For the most part though just be observant when you go. Look at the type of flies around. Determine whether their caddis or mayflies. Then take a look at the size and color of the fly. Once you know this you can match it with what you have. This is matching the hatch. Now some can give you the scientific name (don't worry about that stuff) and all that but really I just look and match to what I have too what is hatching. I have made flies from what I have observed in my area and if I am out fishing and see something else that I don't have I remember it and when I get back home I tie up some for next time I am out. Maybe you don't tie and if so try to find something similar at your local shop. I will say this though in time you might just start making your own flies.
Some will use an attractor. These can look like a mayfly or caddis but do not represent any particular one, only difference is maybe they have odd colors. These provoke the fish into biting because the fish is usually curious about what that fly is, or they are just acting aggressively towards it. Nymphs would require that you do a little under rock exploring. For the most part if you have an idea of what is hatching just use a nymph similar to that.

2)In a 20' wide stream I would not worry too much about waders unless there is a lot of cover around shore and you need to get in the water to cast. Waders are great but I will give one point of advice on this and that is make sure you know how to read the water that way you can plan how to approach the stream. If you just start wading in anywhere you can spook the fish and they may become weary. I have seen many people wade right into a pool without checking in close first and then they wonder why they aren't catching anything. There are some good sites on reading water but the one I liked the most I cannot find so try these out.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/b...ing_water.aspx

The goal is to fish the water before wading into that spot thus decreasing the risk of spooking the fish. Mind you sometimes you have a good idea that there won't be any fish in a spot but you never know.

3) As for not catching on a nymph I hear ya. I am working on this skill. The fish may not have liked the nymph you chose - wrong species, size or color. There is some good advice that can be given on here about nymph fishing but I am not that great of a source. I am putting all the knowledge I have learned into practice. You have to be very observant and strikes can be subtle so use a dry fly or any sort of indicator (everyone has their own preference) to help in detecting strikes. There is lots of info online on how to set this up.

4) This may relate to why you are not catching on a nymph and that is you are not getting the nymph down deep enough. As Kerry said you need some weight to get the nymph down especially in current. Try beadheads and there are also split shot methods for this, but again I am not that great at fishing nymphs so check that out on here as well.

I hope this helps. I would have gone into more detail but that would be a very long post. If you need help with any of these details I can help as best I can. There are a lot of people on here that can help as well. At times you may think there is a lot to this fly fishing but really just take it easy and don't get to overwhelmed with all the techniques. Sorry if any of this is not new.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing, you will have a hard time fishing bait after this.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM

kip is on a distinguished road

I second the bead head nymphs. I generally dry fly upstream, have never taken a lesson but I visited the library and there are tons of books on the subject.

I got my first fish on a nymph this weekend, cast across the stream and drifted down to a cut bank, a quick tug on my line and I did a gentle tip up and that was that. Great fun!

As far as waders, I have a pair but have yet to use them. I generally wade wet in sandals that I have glued felt to the bottom of to decrease slippage on rocks. I will have to rethink that because of the recent move towards feltless wading boots due to transferring parasites from stream to stream. It was a very cheap alternative to this dad with three kids, who can't afford lots of expensive gear.

Don't get too caught up in the gearhead attitude right now. You can fish a lot of water cheaply...

I do support locally owned shops when I buy...

Great site folks... been lurking like an old brownie in the eddies for awhile, thought I'd throw in my .02 from an addicted beginner!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM

I second the bead head nymphs. I generally dry fly upstream, have never taken a lesson but I visited the library and there are tons of books on the subject.

I got my first fish on a nymph this weekend, cast across the stream and drifted down to a cut bank, a quick tug on my line and I did a gentle tip up and that was that. Great fun!

PS- I'v caught rainbows in the shallower, quick riffles overall- your mileage may vary!

As far as waders, I have a pair but have yet to use them. I generally wade wet in sandals that I have glued felt to the bottom of to decrease slippage on rocks. I will have to rethink that because of the recent move towards feltless wading boots due to transferring parasites from stream to stream. It was a very cheap alternative to this dad with three kids, who can't afford lots of expensive gear.

Don't get too caught up in the gearhead attitude right now. You can fish a lot of water cheaply...

I do support locally owned shops when I buy...

Great site folks... been lurking like an old brownie in the eddies for awhile, thought I'd throw in my .02 from an addicted beginner!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 PM

Sorry for the double post. Apparently I can't edit yet...

Thought I would add that I have been flying for about 2 years now. Mostly small rivers and creeks because those are waters that my son and I can access right now. We enjoy every chance we get to get on the water.

There's nothing better than taking him out of school when the opportunity comes...