The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM

get_jiggy is on a distinguished road
Default northeast fly fishing trip

So I just moved to massachusetts from colorado (yeah i know, its backwards) and am trying to plan a 4 day trip for sometime mid october. gonna be meeting up with one of my fishing buddies from CO, who is currently living in NY, so a place between us would be ideal. however, neither of us mind going a little out of the way. since i am new to the area i am unfamiliar with the waters, which is why i'm here seeking advice. where would you go?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: northeast fly fishing trip

easy choice for me
Block Island off the Rhode Island coast
One of the best places to fish the fall migration, minus the crowds of a place like Montauk

http://www.blockisland.com/marine/fishing.htm

The Farmington River, a tailwater in western Ct, would be a good choice for trout as well as the Deerfield in Mass and the White River system in VT.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

new york has some great fishing. I really dont know any of the streams except for the salmon river.

You can always come down to my neck of the woods in state college, PA. There is some tremendous fishing down here. You got spring creek, fishing creek, and penns creek which are all high quality streams.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Hi, there are great fishing places to go in Mid-Atlantic states.. try to check the long stretch of Delaware River that stretches from NY, PA, NJ...
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
........and the White River system in VT.
Now that I've thought about it....
My buddy and I use to fish the White every Columbus Day weekend
It's just towards the end of full foliage season there at that time and central Vermont is a stunning place to be in the fall.
It's very rare to see any other anglers on the water there that late in the season and there's both special regulation water with large resident fish and brook trout tributaries with multitudes of smaller natives
We stayed at a private campground right on the river and were practically the only ones there
It can be cold at night but the days were beautiful
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

If you don't mind driving to the White Mountains in NH, about any stream has brookies. Some of the bigger rivers have good rainbow and brown trout fishing.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:32 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

You've been given some good advice already. There is great fishing all over the New England area. If your buddy is in N.Y. and you are in Mass., you might want to look hard at Vermont. The famous Battenkill River is in southern Vt. and flows into NY. Also, Otter Creek and its tributaries are on the western slopes of the Green Mtn's. On the east side, the White River and it's tributaries offer great fishing. Rutland Vt. would offer a central base for fishing all of these rivers over a period of 4 days. I would also try to get some up to date local info before you go. It has been a long time since I lived there, but I imagine the fishing is still great!!

Bob
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 AM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

Jeez-it is backwards. But anyway, the Deerfield from Charlemont up is very good. it is a tailwater so you need to be aware of releases. The Cold that feeds into the Deerfield has native brookies. Also both branches of the Deerfield in Vermont are good. Plenty of places-you'll have fun